Trailerable Cover?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
while you can get some covers to stay on when trailering, I highly advise against it. most balloon up like a parachute when towing, then break free and beat the boat to death while you are going down the highway.

I recommend trailering without a cover.

I have never had a cover that I could trailer with that stayed on or didnt flap about

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a pretty poor writeup if you ask me. The generic descriptions talk about "trailerable covers", but the specific writeup doesn't indicate one way or the other. Those that are trailerable usually show the straps in the picture. Since this one does not, and there is no indication of any loops either, I would guess it isn't trailerable.

I only bought one Westland cover and it was lousy. I got a refund and bought a Carver from IBoats instead. I have had 3 Carvers and they have held up perfectly at highway speeds.

I won't travel on the interstate on vacation without a cover. A "Good" one that is truly trailerable, and is set up per the instructions using all of the loops won't flap and will protect the interior of your boat. A Cheap one that only has a few straps per side won't hold up.

P7090003web.jpg ​​​​​​​

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve had several boats and several covers. If you want a quality cover that fits perfectly then you need to have one custom made. They cost more than generic mass produced covers but they are worth every penny.. If I were to tow covered it would only be with a custom made cover.

Maclin

Admiral
In the description of the cover in the first post, it states
  • Sewn in loops for straps with trailerable covers.
  • Strap kit sold separately, except when included with specials.
The straps for any trailerable cover need to go as shown in JimS123 's post. From trailer to cover on the same side .Not from one side of the cover to the other side, that method can allow the cover to rotate around and off the top of the boat.

Also, I have seen it recommended that, even with custom trailerable covers, to not tow with any supports in place as that can cause damage to the cover at speed as the cover gets sucked down and the support can break thru any reinforcement.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Custom made cover with support poles that snaps to the boat is the only way to go for a trailerable cover, , IMO.
On the last 3 boats I've had, every cover was custom made with support poles and snapped to the boat, Top Gun fabric (now Top Notch) SUPER DURABLE, water repellent, mold resistant.

All of those boats got towed 300 miles round trip, on average every other weekend. I could easily tow 70 mph into a head wind and the cover never budged.

Without the cover it was like towing a parachute, with the cover the boat goes through the air like a bullet.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve had several boats and several covers. If you want a quality cover that fits perfectly then you need to have one custom made. They cost more than generic mass produced covers but they are worth every penny.. If I were to tow covered it would only be with a custom made cover.

I completely agree. I've had only two covers that were truly trailerable at freeway speeds. Both were custom made out of very heavy vinyl.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One of my covers is custom made, fitted to the exact boat. It's perfect, and has been trailered for 34 years now without an issue..

Another cover I had was a Carver "semi custom" that was designed to fit a 14' OB, X" beam, etc. It was an excellent cover as well. The only difference is that its a few inches too long in the beam, so it doesn't look "custom". Nevertheless it gets the job done, just covers more of the side of the boat than necessary.

My last cover was a Carver "Custom", which was designed for the exact make,model and year of boat. Its every bit as good as the made-on-the-boat custom, but it cost half as much. It can be had in several different fabrics, so you get what you want there too.

The only problem is that Carver makes these customs for only a select few makes and models, so if yours isn't one of the popular ones, you're stuck with a local canvas shop.

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a cover I got from Amazon brand called classic accessories. About 120 bucks and has held up 3 years now of being outside 24/7 and trailered occasionally. Havnt been over 60 or so with it but doesnt show any signs that it couldn't take 70. Overall very happy with it especially for the price. Keeps the inside nice and dry too