Square tube drop axle flip

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
My last boat had the same Volvo Duo prop drive that you have and the lack of being able to tilt the drive farther up was always a frustration. My driveway has a good slope to it as well so I always had to in/out of the driveway at an angle and be cognizant of steep driveways.

The current boat has a Merc drive on it, problem solved. Loved, loved that Volvo DP drive though!!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you take it apart you will see the center bolt that holds the sprig pac together and locates it on the axle. You will also see the hole in the axle you will have to make on the top of the axle. Making the hole in the axle is the only difficult part. Don't reuse the old U-bolts cut them off with an angle grinder or sawz-all.

ahicks

Captain
Thinking about the drill new holes in it plan. I'm not against it as long as you're careful. It might give you a chance to see what kind of condition the axle is in on the inside. The second thing is, that axle is going to fill with water the first time you back the trailer in. Leaving that water in it likely not a good plan, so make sure you install some drains.

Nobody077

Recruit
Put the axle under the springs and use some axle pads/centering plates between the leaf pack and the axle, no need to drill the axle. Never rotate a axle, they have built in camber even straight axles have top and bottom( we weld a bead on bottom center of axles). If your fenders are bolt on you can normally move them up a few inches to move up a tire size for some more clearance