Any ideas on a good sailboat to start off with?

The Mutt

Cadet
Re: Any ideas on a good sailboat to start off with?

As has already been said, join a sailing club at the local, talk to everyone, someone might take you under their wing.

Don't be backward at getting a small sailing dinghy to learn on, after you are comfy sailing and have your boat you already have a dinghy to use.

Glenn
Sailing on "Imagine"

a 1997 Macgregor 26X with Force 40 on the back.

ib656

Seaman Apprentice

A sailing club is a great idea along with the many other tips mentioned!

My experience is that I learned to sail on a 15' cape cod mercury....then I was gifted a mini sunfish (just slightly smaller than a regular sunfish) that was about 20 years old and I still have it and use it 20 years later.

I have sailed on many different boats up to 42' and while I enjoy my powerboat, there is something special about harnessing the wind.

I found and bought a catalina capri 14.2 and LOVE it - we sail it on a lake in maine that has good and bad wind conditions....check http://www.capri14.org/forum/ for the group site.

Good luck whatever you choose and let us know!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I recently looked at various smaller sailboats too. I wanted a boat that is small enough for one person to sail and that is quick and easy to get out on the water with. This is for occasional day use on smaller lakes.

In the end, I ended up buying a 16 foot Bombardier Invitation. It's a bit like a Laser, although a little bigger. It has a mailsail only - no jib - and should be good to learn on. On the downside, it won't be as stable as a heavier boat; with the combination of possibly overturning and lots of spray, sailing will be a wet experience. I may have to wear a wet suit until the water warms up.