Bendix Removal

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI not running. The owner said he thought it needed a starter or the bendix. After removing everything to get to the starter it was good and when you bump the starter it just sounds like its turning over but the motor doesnt. So I was told it was the bendix, I've removed the front motor cover to access the bendix and I can just wiggle it around but can't get it to clear the flywheel. Do you have to remove the flywheel to get the bendix out?? And if so how hard is this?? Mines pretty rusty! And how hard is it to re-install the flywheel?? Anyways I have this thing torn apart and NEED HELP fixing it before I have to put it back together and spend $$$ at a shop, any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bendix Removal

Yes, you do have to remove the flywheel. Take out one of the spark plugs and insert some rope to stop the piston from traveling past tdc. this will safetly lock up the motor with no damage to allow you to get the nut off and them use a flywheel puller to get the the flywheel off. Becarefuly not to use too much heat as the stator is behind it. If it were me, I would disconnect the exhaust and pull the motor to do it.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

spot on with the advice. You can also use an impact wrench with a flywheel puller to "bump" it to jar it loose.

Use lots of penetrating oil/pb blaster on the crank shaft and from time to time, smack it with a hammer after you tighten down the puller. It will come off!

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

best to use a cheater bar and socket . The impact gun is hard on the rod bearings and crankshaft. When i did mine i went to the dealer. They pulled it for me no charge.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Very slim chance of damaging anything using my method, but do what floats your boat. I've personally removed probably a couple dozen flywheels this way and not had any problems.