Starter Problems

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I just brought home a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI. It has been sitting parked on a dock for at least a year, the guy said when it was parked it just needed a starter or maybe the bendix. I charged the battery up and when I press the starter it just sounds like a "gear turning" or something similar. I've not torn into it yet because you have to remove the exhaust and stuff to get to the starter. What do you guys think the problem could be?? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter Problems

More than likely the bendix. I have 2 zxi's. Mine were doing the same thing. Its not fun getting to them either.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pinion gear stuck. If you can get to it put some grease on the shaft or on blaster and work it by hand up and down. It's probably stuck.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright I appreciate the information, is there any manuals or videos on doing this?

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Idk there probably is on YouTube or a site called SBTjetski.com. They have a lot of tutorial videos. You may have to pull the starter out to do this. Idk how it's set up on a jetski. I had a 99 stx never had starter trouble but had everything else with it. The pinion get is the little sprocket kinda on top the starter that engages the flywheel. Take the pinion and work it with your hand up and down the threaded shaft and lube it up really good. Check those sites out I'm sure you find what you need.