10 hr maintenance on my Sea Doo

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice
I'm due for my 10 hour maintenance (Sea Doo Challenger 210). The local dealer is charging 710.00 out the door. Anybody have this done on their jet boat? If so, how is this cost compared to what you paid? My local servicing options are limited but if this company is too over priced I may be willing to drive a little further to find a shop. Thanks!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 10 hr maintenance on my Sea Doo

I have a 2007 Sea Doo Speedster 150 with the 215 HP supercharghed, intercooled engine. I can't remember exactly, but I believe my 10 hour service was in the neighborhood of $250.00. Again, my memory may be failing me here but if it was anywhere close to the $700 you were quoted I would think that would stand out in my mind. I will try to find my records and verify cost. As I recall, there really is not that much involved with the 10 hour service.

The Rooster

Ensign

That sounds ridiculous to me "TB", unless I'm missing something here. I bet "Ernest T" will chime in here soon.

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot guys! I look forward to seeing if you can remember what you paid for your service. I know maintenance is part of the cost of boat ownership... I just don't want to get ripped off!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You purchased your boat from a dealer that's service department would be considered overly greedy. Do they think that all boat owners are that stupid? The 10 hour check is a source of irritation with other Sea Doo owners--on the internet.

Does your owners' manual say what items are addressed @ 10 hrs.? They'll maybe torque some bolts, squirt some grease in the drive line bearings, and change the motor oil/filter.

As far as I'm concerned, other than the cost of oil and filter, a 10 hour inspection should have been included in the selling price.

Sea Doo says: "10-Hour Inspection Checklist ? highly recommended and to be performed by dealer" They don't say it's required.

Talk to the dealer principal, and tell him the price quoted is excessive. If he won't be reasonable on the charges, either change the oil and filter yourself or take it elsewhere for an oil change. We're not talking rocket science here.

When anything I own is paid by a warranty claim, I'll take it to a dealership. When I'm paying, it goes to an independent mechanic (Indy) if I cannot do the maintenance or repairs myself.

Boat repairs at franchised dealerships are often at unreasonable hourly rates. They charge like they're a Mercedes or BMW dealership. All I have to say is "No thank you."

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO all the dealerships charge way too much for these routine service trips. That is one reason that I do all my own maintenance. I think all they do is change the oil and check for loose bolts and cables at the 10 hour point. Typically you see $200 - $250 charges on SeaDoo skis, and I've always thought that was way high. I just can't see that much difference for a boat, cause its the same engine. Is your boat the SE version with 2 engines? Maybe that would explain the extra $$$. For $700 I'd expect them to detail the boat, fill the tank, take my wife shopping for shoes, babysit my kids, etc..

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

I have a new yamaha ,the dealer wanted $450.00 for the 10 hour service. I called yamaha and talked to them ,they told me what needed to be done and I did the work myself. they told me to keep the reciept for the parts. just in case Ineeded to prove the work was done. for less than $40.00 [oil and filter] and a hour of time everything that needed to be done was done to yamahas satisfaction.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

TB...find a local certified ski mechanic. i have a buddy here that does all required maintenance for the 10 hour check for $190. They are pretty easy to find in the bigger cities so you shouldn't have any problems. Just Google local "Power Sports" and you should be able to come up with some hits.

TBGixxer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks fireman. I did the google search and found a dealer I didn't know of. Their rate was 290 plus parts. so probably around 400.