When to get a ring job? Yamaha 700T. ( wave venture )Help please !

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a 95 wave venture from a kid who told me ( and listed in the ad )
that all it needed was wear ring. The motor was " not locked up" and "runs".

The wear ring was binding on the impeller, but the jet pump was seized too...
and you guessed it, so was the motor.

I gave it a good dose of mystery oil and let it sit for a while and eventually it started to free up.

It now turns over and I get 130 psi in the front and 95 psi in the back.

Question is what should i do at this point ?
I have a garage and this is a project so I am ( obviously ) not looking to make money
but at the same time don't want to spend a fortune.

Also I do have a good jet pump ready to bolt on and a few other parts so I prefer to keep at it.

Should I pull head and change rings, how difficult is that, and what advice do you have ?

The kid claimed it had only about 90hrs on it but, hey....... !!!!

Thanks !

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: When to get a ring job? Yamaha 700T. ( wave venture )Help please !

Pull the head and look at the cylinders, it's rare when you can get by with just some rings on these engines. The good news is that a replacing a piston/cylinder or even a complete top end kit is fairly cheap and easy, and not a bad idea to go ahead and do now. You want around 140+ psi compression. Most of these 2 cyl. Ski engines will show a need for a new top end between 150 and 200 hours anyhow.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: When to get a ring job? Yamaha 700T. ( wave venture )Help please !

I agree with Ernest T. Do the top end. I just did a 97 GP760 and GP1200. Both were a breeze to work on. But look at the possibility that you may find serious damage to the cylinder walls before you decide. It could be double what you're expecting in just a simple top end repair. My 760 went without any trouble, but my 1200 needed another cylinder. It ran me an extra $400 by the time I bought it, resleeved it, bored it, and then did the job. It was WELL worth it though since I only paid $550 for it :D So just be wary of what it CAN cost :)

It's easy to a seasoned gearhead, but easier with a shop manual. I used a manual, and it went perfectly.