96 kawasaki sts wont rev over 5000

lrazer

Cadet
i have changed the plugs and fuel filter. it will run fine at lower rpms up to about 4500, then anywhere between 4500 and 5500 it will start missing and u have to let off the throttle and start again for it to stop missing. it wont rev any higher than 5500 at all.

lrazer

Cadet
Re: 96 kawasaki sts wont rev over 5000

i ran it a couple of laps around the lake today and wouldnt rev over 4500-5000, then pulled the new plugs i put in yesterday and they were covered in oil. i put another set of new plugs in and then it would rev to 6000 before it starts missing. it seems like it is getting to much oil. does that sound right? is there a way to fix this or just do a block off kit and mix the gas? i would rather not do a block off kit just to diagnois

kawasakists

Recruit

have you had any luck with this since your last post, i have the same issue

ziggy

Admiral

it's been a long time since i had a ski, but my first was a '95 sts.
seems like i had a similar problem at one time.
have a look at the rubber snorkels (for lack of a better word) that insert into the flame arrestor (2 of them if i remember right, fore and aft). they are oval in shape. as time went by, these oval shaped rubber snorkels were cut the the fa it self allowing the rubber snorkels to spin in the oval shaped hole. when they'd spin 90* it effectively made the intake holes smaller. two ovals placed 90* makes a smaller round hole. this air restriction was my cause of loss of rpm. new rubber snorkels was all that was needed. not saying that's the problem, but pretty easy to check out..