2 jetskis...worth the buy?

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
anyone think this is a steal price?

1993 XP and 1-1993 GTS , a 1993 Shoreland'r trailer

taken care of by a marine mechanic
they are:
XP, type 657 engine (650cc), xp has tilt and trim ,twin carbs. This was clocked at 55mph by a friend.
GTS type 587 engine(580cc), also has reverse.
last time started, july 2001

all for $3200

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 jetskis...worth the buy?

Not where I live. I wouldn't consider that a good deal at all.

I'm not sure how your friend "clocked" that old XP but it would have to have some pretty serious modifications to go that fast. I'd be surprised if it would gps at much above 45mph stock. Never go by a PWC's speedometer, aka dreamometer.

Check out this site for some good data. I've been told that even these speeds are a little optimistic. http://www.seadoosource.com/fueleconomy.html

nate_1503

Cadet

an old 650 or any 650 running 55 is a dream...lol maybe 40... anyway not a good deal in my book. look on nada.com says gts is worth 770 for average retail and the xp for 840 for some reason. so i might go 2k for both if they are in EXCELLENT shape and the trailer is in great shape too. but they haven't ran since 2001 you say>>> wtf? yeah i might go a grand cause to start w/ if its been 10 years since they ran, they need fuel lines, carb rebuilds or replacement completely, new wear rings and pump service. plus tanks cleaned out new fuel filters probably starters need to be removed and cleaned, new plugs, steering cables possibly and trim cable for the gts and thats a round about starting point probably over a grand in service to start w/... FYI the xp has dual carbs too, guy is just talking it up. on top of all of that if the engines haven't run in 10 years the rings are possibly seized or have bad compression probably due to moisture w/ a lack of oil in the cylinders. hope this gives you a starting point

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sea Doo's came out about 1989, and a bunch of improvements were made in 1990. Both of these machines are old technology ski's, but were the best available PWC's at the time.

I bought my first Kawasaki Jet ski in 1984, and later bought a 1990 Sea Doo 587 2 seater that still runs great. I attribute its good service to not running it to death--and using good ole WalMart outboard motor oil. This machine will run about 47 mph, and it's pretty nimble and enjoyable to ride.

I would imagine the 1993 STX 3 man PWC would run 42-45 mph in great running condition, but it's a pretty boring machine to ride by modern standards.

I had a later model SeaDoo XP, with the 787 engine--and it was pretty fast @ 55-57 mph. I have had no experience with the smaller engined XP's of earlier years. I would imagine it'd be good for about 50 mph or so--in good condition.

Sea Doo later used much larger 2 stroke engines, and eventually fuel injected them. They were pretty nice and could be modified into fire breathing speed machines--see Sea-Doo.net for Perry Performance's take on the 2 stroke Sea Doo's.

I bought a Yamaha VX Cruiser last year--the largest selling PWC on the market. It's highly underrated @ 110 hp, and it'll run 54 or 55 mph on top end. The new machines are fast accelerating, fast cruising, and I get 10 mpg. Needless to say, the ride, comfort and economy are big improvements over old generation PWC's.

The only drawback on the new PWC's is they're now 800 lb. machines (with fuel), and they're actually hard to push around your driveway on a trailer. I ended up adding on to my boathouse for my Waverunner, as the manual dock lifts are $1k and electric dock lifts are $2K. They're too heavy for a davit boom lift, and too heavy to push around with a rolling cart on a dock.

2 stroke PWC's can be just a big hassle unless you're a trained mechanic. Parts are very expensive, and paying $110 per hr. mechanics to work on them runs into too much cash outlay for the return. I'd be looking for one late model, low hour 4 stroke PWC if I were you.

Andre900

Cadet

Yes, seems too expensive for these old machines. In my part of FL's east coast, there are dozens late 90s Yamahas, Kawasakis, SeaDoos on Craigslist every day for under $1000, running and on the water.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, seems too expensive for these old machines. In my part of FL's east coast, there are dozens late 90s Yamahas, Kawasakis, SeaDoos on Craigslist every day for under $1000, running and on the water.

thinking about buying from states now...but hard to get started.