1996 F16 sea rayder--what to do--no compression

CWK1958

Recruit
I have a 1996 F16 Sea Rayder 120 HP engine. The boat never ran right nor started easily. Mechanic evaluated at said it has low compression in all four cylinders. about 60-70. Needs a starter and some other things.

The boat itself exterior is in excellent condition.

What do I do about the engine? I am waiting on an estimate to rebuild the engine. The boat itself even it was in working order isn't worth too much. So after the estimate (which I am assuming won't be cheap) do I just put it out to jetboat pasture and look for a true small boat.

If the engine is rebuilt, would I encounter the same issues again, ie don't reach top speeds, starting etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
F16 Jet Boat Owner

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 F16 sea rayder--what to do--no compression

I have a 1996 F16 Sea Rayder 120 HP engine. The boat never ran right nor started easily. Mechanic evaluated at said it has low compression in all four cylinders. about 60-70. Needs a starter and some other things.

The boat itself exterior is in excellent condition.

What do I do about the engine? I am waiting on an estimate to rebuild the engine. The boat itself even it was in working order isn't worth too much. So after the estimate (which I am assuming won't be cheap) do I just put it out to jetboat pasture and look for a true small boat.

If the engine is rebuilt, would I encounter the same issues again, ie don't reach top speeds, starting etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
F16 Jet Boat Owner

No with proper compresion (more than double what you have now) you should run top speed. I don't know if you are mechanically enclined but changing the pistons on a 2-stroke is very easy. I did it when i was a teen and had zero knowledge about engines. Theres no cams, valves, throttle bodies, injectors, etc like on 4 strokes. They are a jug, case and head. If you know someone who is even remotely mechanically inclined you guys could rebuild it yourself.

BTW after a couple times changing pistons, i could disassemble and assemble a 2-stroke in less than a day.