another sportjet 90 with no spark

joe dierte

Recruit
my dad has a 94 bayliner reflexx that backfired and melted the regulator, he replaced the regulator, trigger, and switch box. I am now involved in helping him get it running. It has the red stator and this is what Ive checked from what I found on here.

Has 12v at the batt. and 20amp fuse is good with 12v
disconnected black/yellow no spark
disconnected both yellows from regulator no spark
Ohm checked the green/white and white/green, found it to be open with no continuity im assuming that means the stator is burned out but would like someone to confirm and also advise on any other components that could be damaged. He thinks the motor backfired and spun backwards for a few seconds due to cranking with a low batt, could that have caused all the damage or should I be looking for another problem, it had been running fine before. Also I read not to run this motor w/out water, is it OK to start it for a second while testing or will damage happen instantly Thankyou in advance for any help

joe dierte

Recruit
Re: another sportjet 90 with no spark

No help? I really dont want to put a 250 dollar stator in and have it burn out again

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Joe ,
If you had your ohm meter set to ohms and got nothing from the stator it is indeed bad . I would also do all the tests in the stickey at the top of the forum and post up results. Do not ever start wothout water hooked up , it is a gas fume exhaust explosion issue not an overheating issue .

joe dierte

Recruit

I was on Ohms and checked it twice so I have a stator on order. I am just hoping at this point that what ever caused the meltdown isnt still a factor, Id hate to have it run for a minute and smoke everything again

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What stator did you buy ? and was it a kit with an adapter ?

joe dierte

Recruit

well I finally got the stator from sierra it didnt come with a adapter and it didnt have the same rubber molded around the windings but the boat runs great now, but wont shut off? I have a ground at the black/yellow with the key off but the switch box, also sierra dosnt seem to shut off spark. Im assuming its a bad switchbox, but you know what happens when you assume. Is there anything I could be missing. Kend301 I cant thankyou enough for the priceless information you have brought the sportjet world we all owe you big time.