1993 Bayliner Jazz 90hp Sportjet ?'s

donaldson21

Cadet
I am having a problem with a jazz sportjet. The boat will plane but cavate real bad if you push the throttle all the way down. It acts just like it is spinning out and does not have enough water to push out in order to propell it forward. if you pull back on the lever it will stop and push the water through enough to make the boat do about 20mph(just a estimate because speedo is broke). but as soon as you push lever back forward to make it go faster, it will act as if the impeller is spinning out. Can you point me into the right direction as I do not want to tear apart the pump to get at the impeller if that could not be the problem. as for the ride plate which I have seen on this forum that could cause a problem with this issue, it appears to be ok. Thank you for any help you can provide me.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1993 Bayliner Jazz 90hp Sportjet ?'s

Check hull for marine growth , be sure the ride plate / intake grate are flush with the hull , Inspect the impeller for damage or excessive gap tothe wear ring .

sportjetissues

Recruit

The ride plate or intake seem to be common issues. I am having an incredibly hard time finding an intake grate for a sport jet 120xr, part number 828906T...If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

donaldson21

Cadet

Well it seems that the ride plate might be the problem. I was under there looking at it and where I thought it was shoved back, the holes in the plate were acutally hollowed out. So the front two screws do not even hold down the front of the plate. On another note, one of the very back bolts going into the ride plate snapped off into the pump housing. What are these screws made out of and is the pump a lost? I found a new ride plate on ebay for 228.00 and it says it is a kit. Does anyone know if it comes with all new screws to reattach the new ride plate? thanks

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if it is a merc kit it should come with ride plate and gasket and screws

donaldson21

Cadet

Is that the gasket that is between the hull and pump housing? I have a service manual on order from ebay but was just wondering. Also I believe I am gonna have to replace the ride plate seal as well. Do you have to remove the jet pump all the way out to replace or does it just push up in between the jet pump and hull?