Need advice , buying used jet ski

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all

I usually work on outboards, alot. I know my way around them pretty good but Im lost when it comes to jet ski's right now. My nephew called me up from NY (im in FL) to get advice so I thought about coming to Iboats to get some info/help. He's looking at 2 jet skis right now and I need you help.

With outboards I check Compression, Spark , Lower unit oil . Then usually tune it up with plugs , water pump kit , thermo stat , and a carb job if needed.

1)What should their check list (or questions to ask owner) be with these ski's? He bringing someone with him to help and that is mechanically inclined.

2)Does the impeller need to be changed if sitting along time?

3)Can a compression check be done? If so what should the numbers be? And does the %10 rule apply to jet ski's aswell?

1994 Sea Doo SPI $550

1997 Sea Doo SPX $1000

Thank You,
DamianJP

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need advice , buying used jet ski

My little bit o information...

Wife has the '97 SPX, very reliable, sporty type of ride, unstable when not planing. We love it!

As with anything, give them a test ride. The SPX has a knob by the rear jet to adjust trim; we like ours two full CW turns from complete CCW. Takes about 1-2 seconds onto plane (which might seem long), but then it's freed up at speed. It should go 40-45 mph. VERY important to check that trim when evaluating performance on the water. Like any water-craft, trim too high and it will take forever to plane out, trim too low and you'll get up on plane but be plowing all the time with slower top speed. Easy to think there is an engine problem.

Price seems high... purchased hers 3+ years ago with trailer for $1200.

Good luck!

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need advice , buying used jet ski

Take a look at this list. It should help you make a wise decision. Don't believe what the owner tells you...Confirm before you buy.

Attachments

• Purchase Used PWC Check List R2.pdf
    18.3 KB · Views: 0