95 sportjet 90 bayliner reflex issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I picked up a 95 reflexx last year about this time. I posted on here about all of the issues I was having trying to locate carbs and other electrial problems. Thanks to everyone who was helping me (especially kend301). About that time a new baby came along :D and the boat was put on hold :(. Fast foward to now:

Short story: When I picked it up, the block was intact, no carbs, a number of odd electronics that did not seem to match, hull in good shape, trailer in good shape. Ended up finding a 93 jazz from a guy in my neighborhood. Picked that up and pulled the complete motor.(also have another trailer, and jetdrive. unloaded the boat though) Upon inspecting it before installing this one in my 95 I found low compression on the middle cyl. I had spark, and good readings on the other parts I tested. Pulled the head and found the rings on the middle cyl busted and the metal between the rings broken. Not too much damage but the piston is shot and the cylinder had a little scoring. The other two looked ok.
I finally found someone to look at the block who was recommended by a friend. He took a look at it yesterday. He said the 95 block looks like the head gasket blew, in turn water got into the top cylinder and seized the piston. The 93, he is not sure why the middle rings came apart but he recommonds using that block. Said he would bore the middle cylinder, should be able to hone the other two( he will double ck), clean up something else (exhaust ports?), clean up the head and the face of the block. I will be tearing down the block this weekend and getting it over to him.
So, couple of questions.
Without seeing the pictures(which I will post), what do you guys think of boring one cylinder? I know it's been done by a number of people, just looking for additional input.
Where is the cheapest place to buy a new piston kit for the middle cyl and rings for the other two?
Anything I should look at on the crank ?
Ok to reuse the bearings on the rods to crank?
What other gaskets/kits will I need b/c I have to tear it down? Recommended place to buy and part #'s if anyone has them?
Any tips regarding the teardown and rebuild? I'll take any you guys can give.
Also, I'm going to clean up the carbs, vents etc but is there any parts in the carbs I should replace or just clean them up? Any tips or advise with the carbs.
I will post up some pics of the piston and cylinder tomorrow. I know I need to find out what caused it to happen or at least try to. Hopefully the pics will help.
If everything goes smooth I hope to have it in the water here shortly. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 95 sportjet 90 bayliner reflex issues

Here are some pics
Middle cyl of the 93 90hpthat has the scoring from the broken piston:
93sjmiddlecylscore.jpg

93sjmiddlecyl.jpg
here is the piston:
piston broke.jpg
pistonbroke3.jpg
So I'm not sure yet whether I have to go 10, 20 or 30 over. Guy who will be doing the work will let me know. So where do you guys get your pistons from?

Thanks

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what caused that to happen either. Any ideas?
Like I said before, the 93 complete motor from the jazz will be going into my 95 reflexx. Anyone know of any differences? I think the choke is different but I'm not sure.

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the side of the 93
side93sj.jpg
and here is the 95 side. Notice the difference in the botton right hand corner of the picture. Set up is different on the 95. Is that where the oil/fuel mix is? Did the 93 not have that. I know I'm a little new to these, I'm used to working with car motors.
95sjsidefullview.JPG

emoney

Commander

I thought I read somewhere that '96 was the first year for oil injection, but don't quote me on that because these Jets are still new to me. At least I know what my Evinrude's parts are called, lol.

I didn't notice a big difference outside of the ignition system, of course:confused:

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. You may be right. They are set up a little different so I wasn't sure what was going on. Maybe someone w/ a 93 jazz will post up.

Anyone know of a place running any specials on pistons right now? I need to get one new oversized one and two sets of rings for the other two.

Mirco

Recruit

Hi
I'm new here (half an hour ;) ). I own a searay saerayder, mercury sportjet 90(1994) & used parts from an 95xr(1997). One of my pistons (the downsite-one) is broken & the cylinder has scorings as well... I believe, you have to bore or hone all cylinders, change all rings & the gasket of cylinder-head.
If you change only one, you'l get (a lot) more pressure in this (new-made) one may in short time you damage your engine.
I had to pay badly(here in Spain) for -materials only- around 420,- Euro (550 US$).
Would be nice to hear from your project.
Kind regards, Mirco.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I beleive it was in 94' they introduced oil-injection, so that would explain the 93' without and the 95' with.
Lots of info on here that suggest you can bore only one cyl. and be fine.
BE CAREFUL interchanging internal parts. The 95' probaly uses top guided pistons whereas the 93' used bottom guided.
Also make sue your machinest is familiar with the different types of pistons. Forged or cast they expand at different rates so clearance is different. Or at least the one you buy and if you only buy one I would buy a cast to match the existing OEM.
Look on e-bay for at seller called "fasterthanmachone" or TRI-STATE MARINE. He was able to put together a rebuild kit using only the # off of the connecting rod for me, and seemed very knowledgeable on sportjets.
The repair manual says you can reuse bearings and retainers if in good condition, but replacement is advised cause of the internal part thing and low cost. These are expensive if you buy OEM like $500.00+for the set; that's not low cost to me. Guy at Tri-state sells them for something around $40.00 ea. now that more reasonable, he told me they manufacture them and that there pistons are machined @ 180d so I could have my blocked bored 3.375 and just use .std pistons with no worry of fitting the pistons.
All this said I have not received the kit yet so I don't know first hand if this is all fact, but I do have my fingers crossed.
Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.