02 virage i

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an issue with my 2002 polaris virage i.

I bought it knowing that it has not been used in 5 years,I was told it quit while running and they took it to a shop and they said it will be $1400.00 to fix it.

So I got it home and removed the old fuel and installed a new battery.While messing around I found that the oil pump arm was stuck in the full open position and removed the plugs and the engine was full of oil (it may be a good thing since it sat so long). Both cylinders have 190.I removed the oil pump and freed it up now works great.I can crank the engine and when it feels like it ,it will start for just a second and then quit. Then after that it will crank like a half turn then quit,I was wanting to know if maybe the engine block is full of oil? If so is there a hose or drain plug to see if there is oil in the crankcase I am thinking that there is so much oil in there that it is not cranking right?

As of right now it has everything to start fuel, spark, compression

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 02 virage i

I don't know the answer on oil in the block. I don't think that would be the case. The virage I is known to be a poor starting machine. The module that controls the start / stop switch goes bad often. Ski ends up not knowing if it is trying to start or stop since it is a push of the same switch to do both. Try taking a screw driver and crossing the solinoid connections and see if it starts. That overides the stop / start switch and the LR503 module. If this allows the ski to start it likely means you need to replace the LR503 module. My ski did the exact thing you described above. Problem was the LR503 module. I replaced that module and it worked great for a season and started acting up again. I wired a good switch to the posts on the solinoid and now I can start my ski instantly if it acts up using the normal start /stop switch.

emoney

Commander
Re: 02 virage i

I'm sure you thought of it, but did you drain the fuel system and check all the hoses etc.? Ethanol causes enough issues with a presently used motor, let alone one that sat for 5 years.