kawasaki 1100 zxi bendix change and removal

regal987

Cadet
hi i just had my zxi carbs rebuilt, put her in the water hit the starter and just heard starter motor spinning no engine turn over. we tested the starter, and it is fine. the bendix or whatever gear is behind the fly wheel needs to come out and be replaced. my big question is if i use a used one is there any thing i need to lube it better so it wont stick or break not sure whats going in with this one b/c its stuck behind the fly wheel, and where do u get the special tools needed to pull the fly wheel to get access to that gear manual says flywheel puller and holder, and a rotor puller as well to pull the fly wheel, manual is not in front of me or id give the part #s to but i will if anyone thinks they would help, i have checked every site and no luck i m stuck. thanks for reading any imput is awesome

NMPeter

Cadet
Re: kawasaki 1100 zxi bendix change and removal

Take the Captain's advice, the LAST place you want to install a used part is the starter bendix. New ones are so cheapo ( aftermarkets are $60!), unless your time is worth nothing, go for a new one.

It's best to assure the stator cover iw watertight also, as any moisture causes eventual bendix failure. Use a new gasket

Now the bendix might just be stuck after the winter, which colud be a one time deal. Lay a 2x3 against the front of the engine motor and lightly rap it with a mallet while your buddy repeatedly tries to engage the starter.

The tool is pretty pricey for a one time user. It would pay to either have a shop do it, or find a shop that would rent you the tool for a fee, plus a heft deposit ( the tool retails for over $125)

Anyway you slice it, it's a one of the jetski nasty job you only want to have to do once. So do it right. If you get stuck on the water, a couple of hunderd is going to seem like small change.

veestyle

Cadet

you can order the tool from any motorcycle shop WPS offers it cheap. probably less than $75, if you pull the stator cover most shops would charge about a half hour to pop it off.
When you put it back on torque the flywheel bolt to the the correct amount.

SBT has the cheapest starter gear reductions, i've sold several of them and have had no problems.

autoxr1

Recruit

An update to this thread for others who find it -- SBT now sells a flywheel puller for the ZXI for just $20.

http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/80-209.html
80-209f.jpg

I would also caution that there is some aftermarket junk out there for starter bendixes. The one I put in last year has failed after just a couple of months of use, so I got to pull the engine again. Only took me about an hour or so this time. :)