NO SPARK Sea Rayder Mercury Sport Jet 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: NO SPARK Sea Rayder Mercury Sport Jet 90

well if u nedd the FACTORY manual, just email me

you need to test things with volts and a dva!

jrlandsman

Cadet

I just got a sea rayder 14 foot its a 1993 with the same problem! no spark at all. I ran it all day on saturday. Took it for a short ride sunday morning no problems. Than later that day it died at half throttle going across the bay. Any way no spark at all, got towed home and now i need to figure this thing out.

Can someone please email me a link to the service manual??

jrlandsman@hotmail.com

Thanks!

allenboy

Recruit

hi i recently purchased a sea rayder 14 with sportjet 90 also no spark i bought the boat for 500 as is and have had to rebuild the starter and purchase a new battery. overall i am not doing too bad on the purchase but i am worried about the spark issue. there is a box located above the coils that i beleive is the issue for no spark. there is visual heat damage on this box. question is what is it and would this give me this issue. if so i have read that it is best to replace a couple different units at once or the same problem will reoccur. if anyone knows what i am talking about i would really appreciate som help or suggestions thank you in advance

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1. Do you have a manual for testing?
2. Has the stator been upgraded to the red stator with green and white wires?
3. Have you tried to unplug the rev limiter kill wire ? (black/yellow stripe)
4. Do you have an ohm/dva tester to test the ignition components?

Post up your answers and we will get started , I have gotten 4 of these engines purring like a kitten on here in the last 9 months.

chronomania

Seaman Apprentice

Help!

I have a sport jet 90 that was running fine until starting it one day at the boat ramp.

While the engine was turning, it started shedding the flywheel magnets. I took the boat home and removed the flywheel. The flywheel magnets were all missing except for one (they appeared to be glued-on). The red stator was damaged from the magnet fragments. I purchased a new flywheel and red stator, installed a spark tester and cranked. No spark! I purchased a DVA adapter for my multi-meter and the highest reading that I am getting is 60 volts. I replaced the starter and battery to assure that I had maximum cranking speed and voila-----no spark and still only 60 volts! Is it possible that I received a bad (new) red stator or am I missing something obvious? Anybody in south Florida to recommend to take the boat to; I am out of ideas?

I have removed the flywheel three times to verify that I have aligned the stator properly. I have changed the trigger and voltage regulator and have disconnected the black/yellow wire from the rev limiter for testing purposes. The stator resistance tests within range (about 600 Ohms). Are there supposed to be six magnets (end-to-end) inside of the flywheel for a three cylinder (my old flywheel was too battered to tell)? This engine does not have a switchbox; the stator green/white and white/green wires goe directly to the coil assemblys.

I appreciate all and any information that you may offer!!!

Sparkless in Florida..........

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chronomania , The tests are slightly different for the 90 vs the 120 , I am going to start a new thread for you called "Chronomaina Sport Jet 90" I will post some info you need in a few hours. I just want to keep these boats separate so no one tests something that may not apply to their boat and waste money on parts . Please start posting info in that thread.

epon

Recruit

~~EDIT~~

Sorry for hijacking. I didn't mean to just tack onto this thread; should have made my own! Thanks for the useful help here, though!

Thesmanman

Cadet
I know this is an old post, but I’m having the same issue with my SJ90. No spark. Does anyone have the link to the Chronomaina SJ90 thread? Or the manual they could email
me please. Thank you. My email is thesmanman@aol.com

Fun Times

Staff member
I know this is an old post, but I’m having the same issue with my SJ90. No spark. Does anyone have the link to the Chronomaina SJ90 thread? Or the manual they could email
me please. Thank you. My email is thesmanman@aol.com
Hi there Thesmanman Please know that It's always preferred to create an new topic of your own vs bringing up an archived topic here on iboats even if it may be related....That mentioned to make things easier to relate your question/s... Just simply bring over the (this) link/topic in question for a helpful reference point to all...If needed.

I believe I found the topic you're looking for linked below....If not; 'Again please start a new question to see if one can help better hereafter....
Thanks and good luck to you!

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...a-sport-jet-90

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.