Grinding noise on startup

dependablejoe

Recruit
I have a 2003 FX-140.

On startup, for about ten seconds I hear a load grinding noise from the back. Once it stops, idles normally.
Stop the engine, restart, no grinding noise, all is good.

Noise sounds like bad rusted bearings.

I pulled the impeller, bearings feel smooth, no play. Pulled the back end cap off, lots of grease, no water.

No scoring on the housing where the blades rotate.

Not sure what is going on.

Ideas?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Out the water, a well fitting and in tolerance impeller and wear ring will make a bit of a noise when dry. To prove that’s what it is and nothing to worry about..throw some water into the impeller and it should quieten down.
Generally these things make all sorts of noises on the trailer. That’s one of them.

dependablejoe

Recruit
Hi. Out the water, a well fitting and in tolerance impeller and wear ring will make a bit of a noise

More than "a bit of noise". It was a lot and bad.

To prove that’s what it is and nothing to worry about..throw some water into the impeller and it should quiete down.

I will do that tonight. What I did find is that if I pulled the jet pump assembly it wouldn't make the noise. But the assembly itself seemed fine.

Generally these things make all sorts of noises on the trailer. That’s one of them.

It's just that I have owned this ski for over ten years, and I have never heard it make this noise. And it squealed load and hard!

I was supposed to go on a big trip the next day, but didn't go because it was a new noise I had never heard before.

Thanks.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had this on my Polaris and the bearings didnt look or feel bad but replacing them solved the noise. If it is original bearings you are likely due.