1994 50hp johnson questions

Ghost_rider

Cadet
I picked up a boat with a 50 hp johnson and was wanting to buy another prop for it cause the one on it has some road rash on it. Not bad but figured it could use one. I was talking with a boating buddy and he said that you have to run it at the rpm designed for the motor. Well the tach doesnt work. I checked the ground and the hot wire from the ignition and there is power. How do you check the sending wire with a voltmeter? Also there is a few loose wires. One is a yellow wire with a red strip. Also there is a brown wire that is bare and not connected coming from the motor.

Also can someone reccomend a prop for this boat? It has a 12-1/4x15 on it now. Its a mon ark pro 160.

Thanks for the help fellas

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 50hp johnson questions

I think you will do better with your tach question in the Evinrude/Johnson forum.
your present prop very likely is the right size but you should get the tach working
and do a test run for wot rpm and gps speed.This will get us the idea if your prop is right and the setup works.

Ghost_rider

Cadet
Re: 1994 50hp johnson questions

I think you will do better with your tach question in the Evinrude/Johnson forum.
your present prop very likely is the right size but you should get the tach working
and do a test run for wot rpm and gps speed.This will get us the idea if your prop is right and the setup works.

I did have it in the johnson evinrude section. Guess a mod moved it.