Prop pitch

Rodsticker

Cadet
Just purchased a DF 140 4-stroke. It was underpitched at first and just have received a different pitch. I am asking for good advice from you on the safe and long term operating range on this motor. This is my first 4-stroke, the 2-strokes I've owned have been right at the start.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Prop pitch

To Prop Forum

Rodsticker

Cadet

what is your WOT RPM?

My paperwork notes that the operating range is from 5600-6200 rpms. I installed another 13X21 and it tachs out to 5900 with trim down. I can start to trim out and it easily tachs 6000. I haven't tried to trim it out all the way. I guess the question from me, is do you want your motor to tach at the max or try to keep it on the lower side? Which one will shorten the life of it?

Rodsticker

Cadet

what application?

The application would be mostly for fishing in inland to a little choppy river and sound. I probably will have a little skiing or tubing from time to time, so I wouldn't want to lose all of my hole shot. My paperwork notes that the operating range is from 5600-6200 rpms. I installed another 13X21 and it tachs out to 5900 with trim down. I can start to trim out and it easily tachs 6000. I haven't tried to trim it out all the way. I guess the question from me, is do you want your motor to tach at the max or try to keep it on the lower side? Which one will shorten the life of it?