Ballastic 15 pitch vs. PowerTech 16 pitch - Honda BF45

Jarle

Cadet
Have someone an idea how the Ballistics 10-1/8 x 15 is compared to Powertech Semicleaver SST 10-1/8 x 16?

I have a Honda BF45 and with the original propeller, and I reach to 6500 rpm. (3 blade 11 1/4 * 13)

I have also tried a Ballistic prop with 10 1/8 * 13 with bad luck (6800-6900 rpm). The shop who sells Ballistics say that the 10 1/8 * 15 also will be to light. They say that rpm only drops about 200-250 rpm if I buy the prop with 15 pitch…??

I have just now got a good price on a Powertech propeller....

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ballastic 15 pitch vs. PowerTech 16 pitch - Honda BF45

I am not a prop expert and have limited experience with the Ballistic prop.

I currently own 3 in the 13-14" diameter arena pitched 17", 21, and 24XP.

My experience with this prop, on a light fast boat is that it surprises you with it's performance as for me it is extremely efficient....what does that mean? More mph for a given rig at a given rpm.

Case in point (I know you old salts are tired of hearing this):

Bought this boat. Had a 17P. First time hole shot almost gave me whiplash and rpm's went out of sight. Went to the www and used the BAM calculator trying to get from where I was (rpm's ) to where I wanted to (needed to) be.

Answer came out that the 21P would be just right...bought it, installed it, tested it...wrong.... Now I just went up 4" in pitch....a whopping big change for tweaking props.

Went back and tried the calc with the new data and the 24XP (extra performance) seemed to fit the criteria.....now we are up another 3" for a total of 7" increase.

Now the rpm's are just above the upper limit and the speed is great for what I'm running.

In doing some other testing I bought a Hustler high performance alum which contains most of the amenities of high perf SS props (except blade thickness for one.......Ballistic flaunts their thin blades). I got it in 23" pitch.

Compared to my 24XP, this 23" HP alum cost me 3 mph and 600 rpm's. With 1" less pitch it was supposed to raise my rpm's.

My story.

Mark

bigtwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 10 1/8" X 15" Ballistic on my 25 HP Evinrude, it has been a great prop. for my boat, it runs about 150-200 rpm higher and 2-3 mph faster then a Michigan Wheel alum. 10" X 15" prop. This keeps my motor spinning at 5600-5700 rpm where it is most efficient.

I have read several post on this board stating higher engine rpms for any given pitch with Ballistic props.

I have no prior experience with Powertech props. so I don't know how it will stack up against the Ballistic, however my guess is that the Powertech should cause the desired drop in engine rpms.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Jarle

Cadet

Thanks for answer! I will post result of new propeller test when I get my PowerTech!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I use both those props for racing on my 50hp yamaha's and I must say they are great props, the ballistic is a great allround performace prop where the powertech would give me a really good top end .......

Jarle

Cadet

I use both those props for racing on my 50hp yamaha's and I must say they are great props, the ballistic is a great allround performace prop where the powertech would give me a really good top end .......
Do you know how much top end rpm changes between these two propellers?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

well let me put it this way, I run modified motors so I have no limiters in my motor, Unless I pull my 2nd kill switch, that will activate my limiters for when I run in really rough waters, otherwise the motor get's no where ... now with the powertech I can run it WOT without ever getting close to my limiter, with the ballistic I run on the limiter the hole time, which is great for me, cause as soon as I get a flat spot I pull my second kill switch and no more limiter running that motor at 9500 rpm WOT ....... pulling out far from the other racers ..... hey I am letting out my secrets here ....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Boy Dee you are humpin the rpms bruddah!

Mark

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahaha that is why I need a new motor every now and then ......

Jarle

Cadet

The Powertech was to “heavy” for my boat. The rpm.was only 5200-5300, but the speed performance was ok.

What about to try a Stiletto triad II 10 1/2 * 15?

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jarle,
which boat is it, and how high is the cavitation plate in relation to the hull?

I guess the PT needs to be mounted higher to work properly...

Jarle

Cadet

Jarle,
which boat is it, and how high is the cavitation plate in relation to the hull?

I guess the PT needs to be mounted higher to work properly...
I guess that my engine was to low mounted, but I believe the prop anyway had been to heavy when water skiing. I sold my PowerTech today...
Next time I test a prop I will test different heights.

Boat: Buster L - 330kg

Jarle

Cadet

Have someone in this forum tried a "Stiletto triad II 10 1/2 * 15" propeller?

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Honda manual says the rev limiter is supposed to start cutting spark at 6200 on those motors- you are getting 6500?