Raker vs Raker

Gammabusa

Seaman
Hello again, as i have mentioned in an earlier post http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=40;gtid=1081712;gpid=1081719#gpid1081719 I am tying to get the most out of my 70hk Johnson. Got my new Raker 24 pitch(394761) today and when comparing this with my 22 inch(394760) raker I see some big differens, the new(old type I guess, Ebay) has more cupping and allso on the thin side of the blades it is a little cupped, the vent holes are half the size of the one on the 22 inch so I guess it is a bit difference on the Rakers during the years, or may this 24 inch been worked on by anyone?<br /><br />Well, I will post back when I have tested it in a couple of days....<br /><br />Ronny

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Raker vs Raker

The old style Raker is better than the New, which is a bit thicker and they don't seem to bite as well at higher runing heigths..

Gammabusa

Seaman

Hi Kenny, do you know which of the above Rakers that are the old type??<br /><br />Thanks for all info you share in here !!

walleyehed

Admiral

The old Rakers have "RAKER" stamped-NOT molded-into the side of the hub about 2" long....small letters. They look like they were stamped by hand.

Gammabusa

Seaman

Ok, thanks again, my 24 has a small RAKER stamped in, the 22 has nothing....

Gammabusa

Seaman

Well, the 24 was abit to much, got 50 miles and 5600rpm, engin height maxed at 6,3 inch above bottom, no waterpressure problems until I trimmed out, then it it sank an started to bounch, have the engine off now and vil raise the jackplate to highest possition and will then have possibility to get the engine to 7,3 inch abov bottom. Will plug the upper of the three waterinntakeholes and se what happens,

Ronny

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The earliest Rakers has small vent holes and had more lift than the second or third generation Rakers. In the V6 line the 24 always seemed to have the most lift of any in the line.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Ronny,
gotta work to pay for all those toys eh? 8)

Let us know how it works out when you're back on the water again

Gammabusa

Seaman

Have done some testing, The 24 "old" Raker is a tad to heavy for my boat, max out at 51,5 miles and around 5800 rpm. The 22 "mid" Raker I get 53+ miles and around 6400 rpm. The best thing is that it feels like somthing good is about to happen. When I plugged the upper holes and raised the engine a little bit I am able to trim it abit more out and still have waterpressure and when getting to 52 miles I feel like the boat is starting to Fly, the chine walking is less and everything feels much smoother, the boat is just " dancing" around and I hold it easily in balance with small steering innput, I read alot in here and I think maybe I am running on the lower part of the Geartorpedo? What I really need now is 10 more hp or maybe put a V4 back on the boat? Anyway a big thanks to Dhadly and Walleyehed and others that has given good advice, my boat is up from 45 miles to 53+ miles thanks to the guys on this forum.

Still glad for any input that may add a mile or two....

Ronny again.

Ron G

Commander

Gammabusa said:
my boat is up from 45 miles to 53+ miles thanks to the guys on this forum.

Still glad for any input that may add a mile or two....

Ronny again.
that is a great.wwe always need more power and a few more mphd:)

Gammabusa

Seaman

Thats right Ron,

New chapter opened today,
bought and OLD 1980 Crossflow 140 (E140TRLCSA)

Hopes te get my boat to 60mph, time will show, engine runs nice but has to take a real tune up befor I put it on my boat, searvhing the forum here for tips and tricks....

First I hope it dont sink, my boat is rated 35hp max.....

Ronny

Gammabusa

Seaman

Nope, no idea what that means Kenny....?

You that has lotsa experiences with crossflow, is there any thing to check before I start reeving it to the moon?

Engine runs quiet and nice but it doesent feel as strong as I hoped, it is on a heavy 17 Bayliner now but will put it on my boat one of coming days....

Ronny

walleyehed

Admiral

Change waterpump, clean carbs and kit (or you WILL regret it), of course a compression check...If it passes the comp. check, THEN do the first items I mentioned....
I'd likely change the T-stats as well.
Champion QL77JC4's or QL82C's at .035-Champions ONLY....
If it were mine, I'd change all fuel lines under the hood too. Fresh 87 Octane and make sure it has been link-n-sync'd properly...the most common problem with a crossflow.
Kiting a boat is what we call V2, or Rotate in aviation.....rotate and leave the ground(water)
I love your idea, just be careful.....
BTW, with stock reeds, you might get 6400 RPM and that's about it. I think the cast pistons will handle a tad more, but not for long periods.

Gammabusa

Seaman

Thanks alot Kenny,

I will do what you say, you are very helpful, very glad I found this forum.

That kite thing does sound kinda scary so lets hope I never tries that with my little boat, huh....

If the V4 have same gear ratio as my 70hp I will have a possibility to reach 60 miles at 6400 rpm with my 24" Raker if I did the math right.

Ronny

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When you kite the boat, that's the hang time in the air that gives you just enough time to remember that your wallet is still in your pants and it's fixin' to get wet. And wish you'd bought a better life jacket........

Ron G

Commander

LOLd:) could be the time when your arse is sucking up the seat

Gammabusa

Seaman

Hehe Dale, speaking of experience I guess?!!

Anyway, engine is on, the boat did not sink and since I just HAD to take a little trip without servicing her, I could not resist it, first problem powertrim stopped to work, did not get the engine down, easy fix I thougt, put on som oil and down it went, then when trying to get it tilting upp the oil came out around the left powertrim pusher.....Engine will not come up anymore, more winterwork I guess, hope the PT unit from my -86 70 hp fits in, it looks the same.

Well, I did get 58,4 miles per hour(GPS) both ways with engin tilted down max so I thing 65 miles should be i reach? I did not hold it full more than some seconds cause the boat leaned heavily to port from the prop moment, it was abit scary so I forgot to see the rpm but 5400 or around with my Raker 24". Engine is lowered compared with my 70hp and cave plate is around 120 mm abow bottom of hull.

I will let you know how it goes.....Acceleration was very GOOD!!!

Ron G

Commander

I think your going to hit that mark if ya can holder.is there any pad at all on that boat?