Talk About Porting........

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I was over at Utube yesterday and was browsing boats and props. Ran across a couple of guys testing Mercury Fury props. Very interesting info on Utube videos on the subject.....like here are a few examples, worth watching:

mercury fury propeller

One thing that caught my eye was the size of the ports in the prop. Geez, how do those things ever seal off ?????? Well, maybe at 70 mph because one guy was testing a 24P 3 blade, a 25P 3 blade and a 24P 4 blade. Another guy was talking about High 5s he uses when fishing the Great Lakes and deals with rough water, and how he gets his 24' bass boat up and out in shallow water without stirring up mud, and how he uses his finger control on his hydraulic jack plate and on the other side of the steering wheel, his trim position, tuning both as he runs along.

In there is proof the extra (4th) blade costs you MPH (slightly in this case) but gives you the hole shot improvement (and mid range cruising control).

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
yeah there is proof. The best and quickest of them (in general terms and excluding stupid race props) is the Rev 4. This is a 4 blade tempest. The tempest is the same cut but a 3 blade. Tests always show the tempest quicker than the Rev 4 top end. But the Rev 4 does really well for a 4 blade.
Other than that...physics says that the 3 blade is more efficient. The most efficient would be a one blade but that’s just silly for a number of reasons. Probably most of which is that it would obviously be terrible out of balance haha.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wish Mercury would market 2 blade Props, like they did in the 50s and 60s. Would probably get a few more mph with only a bit poorer hole shot
A 2 blade Enertia

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I wish Mercury would market 2 blade Props, like they did in the 50s and 60s. Would probably get a few more mph with only a bit poorer hole shot
A 2 blade Enertia
Michigan wheel made the brass/bronze 2 blades back in the 50's. I had one on my Wizard 25....called it my speed prop. Ha what did ai know. 15 year old kid, 25 hp Wizard (Merc Mark 30 clone), cost me $400 from Western Auto chain which sold outboards. 13' wooden boat, with a stepped hulll, Bow was semi V, step then from midship aft flat. PO ran a Merc Mark 55 on it for many years and ran out real well. Nobody had tachs or jack plates back then. Boating was fun, not scientific. My first boat.