Wrong Prop??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Prop??

I recently purchased a 2002 Sanpan 2500LE with an I/O 4.3 EFI in it.. It came with the Bravo 3 outdrive. I noticed I can only get 3400 RPM at WOT. PLUS, it is a gas hog! I'm wondering if I have too much prop pitch as it has the dual props and 22 pitch. Is that what is causing my problems?? any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am not familiar with this setup!

PS..I used one of the online calculators and it recommended I go to a 16-17 Pitch prop..Can this be right?

Comment

Agree, 16 to 17 would be better if (BIG IF)

If your motor is running good and full HP rating

Have you did a compression ratio test?
      Do you know if someone has replaced the drive with a different ratio?
      Do you know what the drive ratio is?
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 Seadoo GTX
      Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Hi
        unusual to have a bravo attached to a 4.3. Has either or been replaced ? 22” prop is also quite unusual on the outdrive too. Not impossible but unusual.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, guys! The motor runs great and it has a good takeoff. I'm not positive, but I think this is a factory setup..the other boat I was looking at when I purchased this one had a Volvo Penta outdrive on it. The pontoon I had before this one was WAY better on gas (24 ft. Playbuoy w/ 3.0 4 cyl) and I wonder if I could damage or shorten the life of the 4.3 by having too much prop on it. Also, know of any prop shops that will do an exchange?
          How do I tell what the ratio is? is it stamped somewhere on the outdrive? Thanks in advance!

Comment

PS. The other boat I was looking at to purchase was also Sanpan 2500 LE..
            Also forgot to say in first post that the WOT was 23.6 mph by GPS..
            Last edited by TonyMcbride; July 14th, 2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMcbride View Post
              Thanks for the quick reply, guys! The motor runs great and it has a good takeoff. I'm not positive, but I think this is a factory setup..the other boat I was looking at when I purchased this one had a Volvo Penta outdrive on it. The pontoon I had before this one was WAY better on gas (24 ft. Playbuoy w/ 3.0 4 cyl) and I wonder if I could damage or shorten the life of the 4.3 by having too much prop on it. Also, know of any prop shops that will do an exchange?
              How do I tell what the ratio is? is it stamped somewhere on the outdrive? Thanks in advance!
              Yes, over propping an Engine will shorten it's life

VPs usually have the ratio on a metal tag on the upper gearcase.

With an increase in displacement of about 43%, Fuel consumption is going to to rise

Comment

Newbie question..what is a VP?? LOL!

Comment

My mistake, you have a Mercrusier. Ratio is in same place

VP = Volvo Penta

Comment

With an increase in displacement or about 40%, Fuel consumption is going to to rise

??? I don't understand this. Can you explain?

Comment

What about on the Bravo 3? Tag somewhere?

Comment

Bigger engine, More air-fuel needed.

Comment

Oh, you mean between the 3.0 and the 4.3. I get it now.. I just went to see the drive ratio..found it! It says 2.2 on the tag. Thoughts?

Comment

I just did a search for props for a Bravo 3..I can only find a 19 P as lowest pitch. (mercruiser site) Does another company make lower pitch for a Bravo 3?? Thanks in advance!

Comment

..Or is my only option to go down in diameter and use the 19 P?

Comment

Working...
                              X