Prop for 175 Evinrude Intruder on Ranger 390v

jmhowell

Recruit
I'm new here and hope I am in the right place... I need some prop advice. Below are the specifics of my boat.
  • 1990 19’3” Ranger 390V
  • 1995 Evinrude Intruder 175 HP
  • 6” Setback/Jackplate
  • The current prop is a 14.5 24p Raker 3
  • WOT with the current prop is 5600 RPM with two people and full tournament gear and that is 49-50 MPH on the GPS.
I pull my kids on a tube and water skies a lot and also run to the fishing hole so I need that "happy medium" prop. Speed is not a real big thing for me... but I would like to have a little more hole shot and power for pulling the tube and some added speed would be a great bonus.

What prop should I buy or should I be satisfied where I am at?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm. Not overly familiar with your boat but you seem a bit all over the place with the figures there. I would have thought your boat with that engine and jack would be a rocket ship for speed. Maybe a little low on rpm perhaps. I’d need to check the range for that engine. But you seem slow too end...all else being well this normally suggests it should be quick out the hole...but you say you aren’t...and the low rpms. Makes me think something else is going on. You should be seeing late 50’s min with that set up I’d say.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the min-max wot rpm range of that motor ? The stated 5600 wot rpm was achieved while pulling toys ? If wanting a faster hole shot send that prop to a prop shop and have it repitched to a 23P from current 24P This will improve the actual hole shot while pulling water toys.

Did you know that under inflated water toys achieves more water drag and slows the combo down than the ones that works inflated to their factory working pressures.

Happy Boating

jmhowell

Recruit
Thanks for the response team! Yes, that 5600 WOT is with two people and tournament load. From my reading max RPM should be 5500. I know that Ranger Bass boats are heavy so the same motor on other boats would probably be faster, but I once had the same model boat 390v with a 150 Erude XP and it had a 4 blade Renegade (don't remember the pitch) and it seems like i had good hole shot and top speed was 50 mph, I cannot remember the max RPM on that boat, but I feel like i should see better speed on this boat.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
With that much setback. check engine height. It should be ~3" higher than normal for best performance, Normal (with no setback) is the av plate in line with hull bottom. Once the engine mount height is right, then and only then should you start looking at the prop. You really don't want to go over max rec. rpm in any case, so if you do, you should go up in prop pitch accordingly.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If max wot rpm range factory stated is 5500 rpm motor is already there revving at 5600 rpm. If wanting a slight top end increase go up say a + half pitch, but current hole shot will be decreased a bit. Can't have both worlds in one prop, it's one or the other.

Before playing with prop pitches check that motor set back, motor transom height are well matched, re test and check achieved max wot rpm to see if matches previous 5600 rpm or probably slight over.

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Have the 24 Raker thinned and cupped and buy you a aluminum "play" prop.... a 21 pitch to pull tubes/skis but watch the RPM. The 5600 RPM is perfect for tournament fishing...