Is this enough damage to cause some mild vibration and a slower performance

groovy_moon

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 Sea Ray 175 3.0 Mercruiser. I hit something last time out and this is the damage. The rest of the prop is in "ok" shape.... edges a little chewed up... The boat has some light vibration at higher engine RPM's and will not plane out when towing a 3 "kid" tube and with 4 adults in the boat....

This is a 14.5" 3 bladed 19 pitch

Also I bought a new prop, thank you iBoats, a Solas 14.5" 17 pitch 4-bladed... What do think... I am fine with losing some top end to get better towing power and hole shot.

The 3.0 is the 3.0... A little under powered.. BUT.. Easy to service and it just sips gas and you get a significantly larger interior.

Attachments

• photo298168.jpg
    photo298168.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Wouldn't be hard to hit that a couple of times with a hammer and a block behind it, finished off with a file to smooth it out.

groovy_moon

Seaman Apprentice
Wouldn't be hard to hit that a couple of times with a hammer and a block behind it, finished off with a file to smooth it out.

Yes... but I was looking for an excuse to go for a 4 bladed 17P to get better acceleration and quicker easier plane when loaded down with BIG grownups and towing 3-4 kids in the tube... and this fit the bill

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Fix that prop...don't just bang it out. It's out of balance and can damage your drive.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That prop needs to be rebuilt, or get your new prop, does not take much vibration to tear up a lower unit.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Big tube and four adults you don't have enough power with a 19" pitch.

You'll like the lower pitch and 4 blades on that boat for water sports. I had a '91 170 sea ray with same engine and lower pitch 4 blade made a huge difference when towing. As you said this combo was very easy on the wallet and easy to work on, in the end very durable.

NYBo

Admiral
You already have a more suitable prop. Use it and get the old one repaired for a spare.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Agree, have it professionally repaired and keep it as a spare. The small chip is not a big deal, but I'll bet the pitch on that blade no longer matches the others, so you get a hydraulic imbalance induced vibration. I'm in New Jersey (USA) and I've found the shop most marinas send their blades to. I've cut out the middleman for my yearly prop maintenance ;)

groovy_moon

Seaman Apprentice
Agree, have it professionally repaired and keep it as a spare. The small chip is not a big deal, but I'll bet the pitch on that blade no longer matches the others, so you get a hydraulic imbalance induced vibration. I'm in New Jersey (USA) and I've found the shop most marinas send their blades to. I've cut out the middleman for my yearly prop maintenance ;)

Thanks all for all your tips and hints.. they are appreciated.

Yes... I had absolutely NO intention whatsoever of not having the damaged prop professionally fixed. I am a Mechanical Engineer working in the Automotive industry and was an Auto & Marine mechanic before getting my BSME. So I am aware of what vibration can do to a drive line.

Which shop is that to send the prop too?

Thanks in advance...

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Atlantis Propeller LLC in Pennsauken NJ.
I drive to the shop (after phoning ahead) and pay cash;)

groovy_moon

Seaman Apprentice
OMG!!! Put the new 4 bladed 14.5 x 17 prop on Thursday evening.
It hit the Zinc....
I had to notch the zinc out a little for the prop
Took the boat out for a spin on my Mother In Laws Sub's private lake..
It was like a totally different boat.
We had, easily, 1,100 lbs of kids and grownups in the boat...
It came right up on plane and cruised in the mid 30's at 4,500 RPM...
It handled better, It steered straighter at idle (no more snake waking)..
It was smoother (even when compared to before the 3-bladed took the aforementioned hit)

OK so there are now 2 things I wish I had done the day I drove the boat home the 1st time
1) Get the guide posts for the trailer
2) Change out the 3 bladed 14.5 x 19 for a 4 bladed 14.5 x 17

Thanks for all the information...

PS: Maybe I will just get another one of those for a spare....... fix up the 3 bladed and sell it.