prop suggestions - 230 Sea Ray

cjd3060

Cadet
I have a '96 Sea Ray 230 with the Mercruiser 5.7 LX EFI w/ the Alpha I. I currently have a Qucksilver 48-16316A4 19P prop. While I am pretty happy with it... I wish it got onto plane just a little quicker and a little more top end would be good. I was trying to figure out if one of the Turning Point Hustler Dual Geometry (4 blade) props might do the trick. Anyone have any experience with them on a 230?

alldodge

Staff member
The more blades in the water the more HP needed to turn it. So going from a 3-blade 19 to a 4-blade17 may help one area but can hurt another.

Before we get into possibilities, what is your WOT rpm, and speed (gps)?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's important to know to dial a top prop for your boating requirements the following :

-Min-max wot rpm range factory stated for that Merc 5.7
-Load, usually like boating while lightly, medium light or heavy loaded.
-Max wot rpm achieved on flat calm water cond, well trimmed and with which load.

As load is a rpm serial killer can go from there maximizing a top prop to suit better your boating requirements once that missing data is known.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You may need a vented prop for the hole shot.

What RPM and speed are you running now?

cjd3060

Cadet
You may need a vented prop for the hole shot.

What RPM and speed are you running now?

It was a little choppy last weekend... but, at about 4400 we were bouncing around 40mph (per the speedometer). I'll need to use a GPS speedometer for a more accurate reading.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your at 4400 RPM your out of motor for your prop. No more top end to be had without more power

Post your GPS speed so we can verify prop slip