Diameter and pitch question

The boat is a 24 ft tritoon, motor is a 2002 Suzuki df115. With a 14x19 unknown name brand prop I get a speed of almost 28 mph and max rpm of 5300. With a 13x19 quicksilver black Diamond prop I only get 26 mph but rpms increase to 5500. With a 13.25x17 solas prop I quickly over rev past 6000 rpms at around 25 mph. I'm starting to think that a 14x17 could be the magic combination but would like some more input before spending the money on it. I realize that different name brands are designed and perform different but that's all the props that I had on hand to work with. All of which were aluminum. Any advice is very much appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
What is your target rpm? Where are your priorities? Is this boat strictly a cruiser, or are you spending a lot of time pulling tube/skiers?

I can share that our 90hp Honda seems to like 5500 much better than the 6000 max suggested. It's both faster and quieter, with the downside being it takes a few seconds longer to get to max mph.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With a toon which drags more on water than a conventional mono hull it's better for engine to run middle wot rpm range than at full range as fast hole shot is not a necessity. At full throttle engine will scream much less with better fuel consumption included..

Happy Boating

What is your target rpm? Where are your priorities? Is this boat strictly a cruiser, or are you spending a lot of time pulling tube/skiers?

I can share that our 90hp Honda seems to like 5500 much better than the 6000 max suggested. It's both faster and quieter, with the downside being it takes a few seconds longer to get to max mph.

About 5600-5800. Its a fishing guide boat so sometimes has a lot of weight. Hoping to be able to hit 30 mph with light load and still be able to hit 26 or so with heavy load.

ahicks

Captain
I'd be pretty tempted to have a good prop shop tweak that "unknown" 14x19 you have. Tell them what you have going on, where you'd like to be, and let them do their magic. I'll bet they can get you pretty close to what you're asking for. Might be a pitch reduction, or a combination of that and some cupping magic.

I'd be pretty tempted to have a good prop shop tweak that "unknown" 14x19 you have. Tell them what you have going on, where you'd like to be, and let them do their magic. I'll bet they can get you pretty close to what you're asking for. Might be a pitch reduction, or a combination of that and some cupping magic.

That's a good idea. Might just try that. Thanks

Ended up having the unknown prop taken down a pitch and cup where the prop guy thought it should be. Got the rpms from 5300 up to 5650 and speed up to 29 mph so I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for the advice. Even after taking the prop to the prop shop, still nobody knows what brand it is. Come to find out though that it was a progressive pitch prop which according to the prop guy is very rare in aluminum props. It started out at 17 pitch and progressed all the way to 21 pitch, even though it says 19 on the prop.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Rare? Since the late 1960s OMC was equipping their loopers and V4s with progressive pitch aluminum props. Mercury was doing the same. In the late 70s even Chrysler was doing so. Michigan Wheel boasted in its 80s catalogues of progressive pitch

dabrackmaster

Seaman

Hey man , I live about 20 minutes from Waterloo, good to see someone local on here . Absolutely love your video on Santee rigs and drifting.

Anyways, Southern Prop Repair & Welding, owned by Michael Brown does wonders with custom jobs specific to certain applications. He's fair, and friendly. I could definitely provide you with the info if you're interested.

ahicks

Captain
Hey man , I live about 20 minutes from Waterloo, good to see someone local on here . Absolutely love your video on Santee rigs and drifting.

Anyways, Southern Prop Repair & Welding, owned by Michael Brown does wonders with custom jobs specific to certain applications. He's fair, and friendly. I could definitely provide you with the info if you're interested.

Sorry, I think you may have me confused with somebody else. I've never posted a video, and am a snowbird, based in SE Mich and the Gulf Coast of FL north of Tampa.

dabrackmaster

Seaman
Sorry, I think you may have me confused with somebody else. I've never posted a video, and am a snowbird, based in SE Mich and the Gulf Coast of FL north of Tampa.

Sorry, It was intended for "fightindablues" he has a guide service at my local lake. I was merely offering him an awesome prop guy that's local and some say a genius

Pasogal

Recruit
I have a 81 Johnson 25 that has a 9.2 x 12 prop can't find this one, what can I replace it with ? Thanks