2155 bayliner wont launch takes awhile.

Fall Guy

Cadet
1987 2155 bayliner ; OMC 5.0, prop 15 x 17, cobra stern, no fins on stern, 2000 RPM's at launch, 3500 RPM's at WOT.and motor runs great. Can't launch out takes awhile and that is with two persons. Cant pull a person on a tube and don't even know if I can pull a skier. Is this normal or can i get it strong enough to pull a skier once in awhile.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have a power loss issue if your WOT RPM is only 3500. You need to find out why you have a low WOT.

Look at the stickies for complete list

Check fuel system
Check shutters
Check compression

Fall Guy

Cadet
Thanks for your replay, i did check all of that if its out of the water it rub-up to 5000 no problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for your replay, i did check all of that if its out of the water it rub-up to 5000 no problem.

Running the motor above a fast idle with no load is not good for the motor, 5000 RPM out of the water can damage the motor, besides being meaningless because there is no load. You need to find out what's wrong with your motor.

Fall Guy

Cadet
OK i'm going to check my spark advance, i just though it was a prop problem, because motor sound good. i just got the boat.
Does this boat have the power to be able to pull a skier if it's running good?
Thanks Y'all again

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If motor is up to par and propped correctly it will pull a skier but it would help if it had tabs on hull....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It's possible being older, that it's waterlogged. Have it weighed, and see of it's heavier than it should be.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OK i'm going to check my spark advance, i just though it was a prop problem, because motor sound good. i just got the boat.
Thanks Y'all again

Seriously doubt it's your spark Advance. It also isn't your coil. It is almost never an ignition issue. 90% of the time it is your fuel system or compression

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The engine is 30+ years old, it may be tired. Compression test is the first thing. If compression is good, timing and carb need checking. Is the throttle linkage allowing the carb to open fully? 2 or 4bbl? If 4bbl are the secondaries opening? Exhaust may be blocked by backflow preventer. If all that checks out, check valve lift as cam may be worn.
Of course, a prior owner may have replaced the engine and used a car/truck engine instead of a marine engine.

Fall Guy

Cadet
thanks for all the tips, I check my disturber i need a spring kit for the advance very lose and my timing change up and down in idle. Also found out its starving for fuel in the secondaries. You all help a lot. I don't work on boats much its a little different then cars but not much. ill give you the out come in a couple of weeks. The lake is about 150 miles away for my test drive. I live in El Paso ,Tx. in the middle of the desert. LOL

Maclin

Admiral
Yeah, if you do not have the right (or any) springs for the mechanical advance then the weights can swing out too early and and bounce around and mess with checking/setting the initial advance. Good luck!