OMC prop vs Solas Prop

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, forgot to mention that was reffering to batman's posted link, excessive AV plate exposure when plate should be riding unexposed under water flow. Unless like racing with klever props at near straight water courses a highly exposed AV plate will perform bad at tight close turns and choppy waters at speed, test for yourself.

Happy Boating.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In order to make changes successfully, you need to understand how the engine and hull works through the water. The "cavitation plate" incorrectly named is really an anti-ventilation plate. Its purpose is to provide a physical barrier so the top of the prop does not suck in air due to the negative pressure behind the prop blades. NOW: when the boat is on plane it does not really ride flat on the surface of the water. In fact, it creates a shallow vee shaped hole in the water which is rapidly refilled when the transom passes. Since the transom is lower in the water than the surface, when the water rushes back in, the level is higher than the transom. THUS, if the anti-ventilation plate is below the transom, it is deeper in the water than it needs to be..Extra lower unit will be dragged through the water increasing drag and lowering top speed.

Depending upon the hull design and set-back of the engine, the engine can be raised on the transom up to several inches putting the anti-ventilation plate AT the surface of the water when at plane. This will increase speed but not by a magic number. You need to experiment with different props and engine height settings to achieve best results. ONY change one thing at a time so you can compare results.

Usually, higher pitch will affect hole shot negatively so some high pitch props are vented. This means a controlled amount of exhaust is bled through holes in the hub and ventilates the prop, allowing the engine to rev up easier. Water flow over these holes at speed effectively closes them.

That is the best explanation anyone has given me here so far. Thank you... It makes sense when i think about it the way you explained it. I would not dare try two holes up. That would make my av plate about a quarter to half an inch above the hull bottom. Where as based on measuring the av plate and the distance between each hole. If i go up one hole it will put my av plate at about a quarter of an inch BELOW the hull still. Roughly. It mat even be near dead even with rhe bottom of the hull at that piont. I was told to take my measurement of the av plate with the engine atvthe level/netural position. I eyed it up as close as i could. Because my trim gauge seems to be acting up lately. I will be attempting this in the next week or two when we pull the boat out of the water for the winter. I will post my results. I am really hoping for wmph extra uptop. But i will be happy with a 1mph gain. That would put me at 41-42mph for a 90hp that is near 20 years old. Not too bad in my books. ;-)

As for the higher pitched vented props you mentioned. I have a 19p prop that has a crappy hole shot. But great top speed. I may drill venting holes in it to see if it improves its hole shot. And retains its top speed. Because frankly .... I am wondering if the current 17p prop i have is almost to the piont of being under proped. At e8mpg im at 5600ish rpm. And at 39 to 40mph inseem to be around 5800ish rpm. Atb40mph it almost looks to be near 5900rpm. Id i do gain top end from raising the motor. Im almost scared of over revving the engine at top end and i may start seeing 6000rpm at like 41or 42 mph. I know 2 strokes like to rev. In short bursts. But ibwould be learey of 6000+ rpm. So i may have to try my 19p eith drilled holes for a better hole shot. Or a 17p stainless steel that would hopefully drop my rpms down a bit ans give me some more speed. But..... Like some have said. I need to actually try it first and experiment...

Last edited:

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Somthing worth looking into is I believe that motor has a MAX WOT of 5500. I could be wrong but if what i think is correct your already spinning to many rpm. Not sure risking a motor over a couple mph is worth it

You are also getting great speed out of that motor as is.