Best BBQ for a Pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweckley

Cadet
Re: Best BBQ for a Pontoon

Here is what I did. I got this little guy from Walmart for $40 and bent my own brackets and had my welder weld them on.Pontoon Grill.jpgPontoon Grill 2.jpg

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

We have a Grille made by Cobb. It's 10 years old now and it looks brand new. It's Stainless steel and it uses charcoal .Very easy to use and you can cook anything in it. The best part is you can hold it in your hands without feeling any heat. .Just google it, Cobb Grilles. Lots of different models.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

best BBQ for a pontoon is the one where ALL your friends are there, the drinks are cold, the sun it warm and the atmosphere is GOOD!!!

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a Grille made by Cobb. It's 10 years old now and it looks brand new. It's Stainless steel and it uses charcoal .Very easy to use and you can cook anything in it. The best part is you can hold it in your hands without feeling any heat. .Just google it, Cobb Grilles. Lots of different models.

Cobb's are very good grills, especially because of their smaller configurations. And I'm charcoal all the way--can't stand propane for grilling, but to each his own. For windy conditions, propane is the way to go.

And while we're on the subject of cooking on the boat (mmmm), have any of you guys used an OVEN!? This would be spectacular for you pontooners:

C-OVEN.jpg

This is a Camp Chef camping oven, which runs off the small LP bottles. It's a regular stovetop too, but you have no idea the value of having an actual oven on board. There are a gazillion things you can do in an oven that you can't do on a stove or grill. But this ain't too cheap, and you wouldn't want to store it exposed to the elements.

I still have a small Brinkmann which is a straight oven, but they discontinued it, and it was CHEAP. With a small chips box, you can use it for smoking, which ain't a bad idea for some fish some of you guys might be catching.

Here's a photo to show you the scale/size of it:

coven_ls24_700x467.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No charcoal allowed if we BBQ in our slip which is something we will be doing often.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for Magma Round Kettle
I did the rail mount as well and have if hang off the side.

Might design something to hold the lid though, it's nice to have 2 hands to work the grill.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Might design something to hold the lid though, it's nice to have 2 hands to work the grill.
There is a disc in the top of the lid that does that right? At least it does on the round Magma I have.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahhhh, maybe you are right. I'll have to give that a try in the spring.

Nothing beats the taste of grilled food on the pontoon!!

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for Magma Round Kettle
I did the rail mount as well and have if hang off the side.

Hold the lid ?????? the kettle style have a hinge on the lid, no need to hold it ?? just tip it back or close it.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe mine is the older style. The lid is separate. There is a cord that keeps you from loosing it. The hinged design looks much nicer. It's a hassle lifting the lid off...and it gets hot! Need a mit. It looks like the charcoal ones have the lid like mine, but mine is gas.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hold the lid ?????? the kettle style have a hinge on the lid, no need to hold it ?? just tip it back or close it.
The bigger ones have the hinges and the smaller ones don't.

small one
A10-004-prod.jpg

big one
A10-215.jpg

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, now we all know. I didn't know they had different lids. Thanks for the update.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a round Magma grill now for my Wellcraft but there are usually just 2 of us on it. It works well. The one for the pontoon is going to be a rectangle since there will be more people on it. Round grills don't work well with a lot of long things like corn or shish kabobs.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So to let everyone know what I decided on and how I mounted it, I ended up buying the Kuuma 160 grill. It was $125 or so. I didn't like any of the mounts because some would touch my new cover and I didn't want that.

This shows the new BBQ mounted with the bracket I welded together.
IMG_20140222_143306.jpg

This is the aluminum part I welded up that fits on the rail.
IMG_20140222_143343.jpg

This shows the stainless steel bracket that attaches on the bottom of the grill. The knobs allow the bracket to be removed or rotated 180? so you can cook from the dock side of the boat.

IMG_20140222_143335.jpg

The Rooster

Ensign

Nice job Bruce. Looks nice & sturdy, and you can even BBQ while cleaning the leaves out the gutters !!! :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Nice job Bruce. Looks nice & sturdy, and you can even BBQ while cleaning the leaves out the gutters !!! :)
Having that pontoon boat parked over there in the winter does simplify the gutter cleaning for sure.

staydry

Seaman

We have a Grille made by Cobb. It's 10 years old now and it looks brand new. It's Stainless steel and it uses charcoal .Very easy to use and you can cook anything in it.

Same here...we've had one for a while...they work great...

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine. It's a little rigged up looking, but it was very economical to make, installs/uninstalls in seconds, is secure, and I can move it wherever I need to on the rail...
img0797m.jpg

Ntaris

Recruit
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.Before we had our camp we always grilled on our 24' pontoon boat in any quiet cove. Stonedam Island dock was one of our favorite spots. We had it down to a science however! My Magma Kettle grill https://bestoutdooritems.com/coleman-roadtrip-grill-lxe-vs-lxx was rail mounted and could easily be removed in seconds for storage. We had a dedicated set of cooking utensils that was always kept in the boat. Plastic knives, forks spoons, paper plates and napkins and other non perishable condiments such as salt and pepper were kept in a waterproof plastic container which also never left the boat except to be replenished. We would simply put our burgers, dogs and whatever in a large cooler with ice or ice packs and bring it with us. We always carried an extra 1 lb bottle of propane also in a waterproof plastic storage box. We carried heavy duty contractor bags for all trash. Cheap plastic trash bags would always leak, contractor bags are the only way to go! You must cook only where the water will remain calm. My kettle grill did not drip grease it was made to burn all drippings and it did. The grill would swing out over the water when cooking for safety reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.