Removing water from toons and broken vent plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I heard some water in the back section of one of my toons on 97 Sun Tracker Signature 25. Still haven't figured out how/where it's getting in, but I'm pretty sure it's a factory weld issue well above the water line. I've tried soapy water spray and forced some air in the vent but can't find any leaks. Will keep looking.

Posting this so others can learn/try what worked for me.

Removing water from toon
This was a trial and error process. Tried several different types of tubing including copper ice maker line, vinyl, plastic, rubber, etc. What worked was the 'less stiff' black vinyl. Since the hole inside the threaded inlet is pretty small, I used 1/4" ID vinyl tube. I repeatedly inserted a length into the hole while blowing air (yes, via mouth) into the hole. When I heard bubbles, I knew I was in water.

Yes, 1/4" ID hose isn't going to drain fast, but to me it beats drilling holes in toons. While I don't recommend it, you could suck syphon to get the out flow started. What I did is bought one of those drill driven pumps ($9) at Lowes and in the Landscape Irragation section of Lowes, I found a fitting that has a female garden hose fitting on one side, and a 1/4" ID tube fitting on the other (used for connecting landscape irrigation drip tubing). I poured some oil in the pump before first uses. Hooked the pump and fitting up to the tube inserted in the toon. Fired the drill up and water started flowing out! I then stopped the drill, unscrewed the fitting from the pump and the water continued to flow.

I positioned the outlet tube over a 5 gallon bucket so I could measure. After the flow stopped a couple of times I repositioned the hose in the tube inside the toon by repeating the "blow and bubble" method. In total, I got about 11 gallons out.

Broken plastic vent plugs.
The one I needed to get out came out without breaking. Should have stopped there. Out of curiosity, I decided to remove the vent plug from the front toon compartment. It snapped immediately. Of course access is very restricted, and after much research and tinkering, I decided to melt out the remaining plastic still in the threaded hole. Found a bolt that would fit inside the broken plug, got it hot enough to melt plastic (and not hot enough to melt aluminum) and then kept inserting into the broken plug/hole and then wiped out the melted plastic. After doing this a few times, I was able to get enough of the old plastic out that I could thread in a new brass plug. Took plug out, wrapped with teflon tape several times and reinserted.

Re: Removing water from toons and broken vent plugs

Good to know! I just bought a used pontoon and the plugs are plastic. One of them is cracked pretty bad and I am planning on opening it up before going back on water. I think I will go back with brass. When I opened the one that isn't cracked you could hear the air pressure in the pontoon. Is that normal?

The Rooster

Ensign

Good to know! I just bought a used pontoon and the plugs are plastic. One of them is cracked pretty bad and I am planning on opening it up before going back on water. I think I will go back with brass. When I opened the one that isn't cracked you could hear the air pressure in the pontoon. Is that normal?

Completely normal. They "breathe" a little from heat / humidity changes. Usually less than 5 lbs. of air from the factory.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

After doing this a few times, I was able to get enough of the old plastic out that I could thread in a new brass plug. Took plug out, wrapped with teflon tape several times and reinserted.

I would take those brass plugs out STAT, unless you want issues with your pontoons. You should use aluminum plugs or if you can't find those go with quality stainless steel. Brass and aluminum will not play together nicely.

It's a long time going debate but all the shops i talk to say to NOT use brass...

Check the forums and read the debates and choose your opinion.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take those brass plugs out STAT, unless you want issues with your pontoons. You should use aluminum plugs or if you can't find those go with quality stainless steel. Brass and aluminum will not play together nicely.

It's a long time going debate but all the shops i talk to say to NOT use brass...

Check the forums and read the debates and choose your opinion.

DLS, I figured someone would raise that concern. I had searched the forum and found concerns raised in saltwater situations, but didn't see anything definitively for freshwater. I agree non-metal or same metal is ideal. But I haven't found a source for aluminum threaded plugs yet, and I don't want to go through the broken plastic plug scenario again. Since brass was the only thing I could find quickly, I used brass and figured the teflon tape and a bit of vaseline would help mitigate unwanted reactions...at least for now.

But since you have me thinking about it again, I just found a possible source for aluminum plugs (Summit Racing). I need to check the threads on the plastic one to see if Summit has a match.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok i just wanted to bring it to your attention. My previous pontoon had leaking issues and it was a nightmare....i ordered a set of new plastic ones, i think they are actually polyurethane, online for $5.00 for 10.
I did actually call Crest and ask them if they sold replacements and the guy in replacement parts division just told me to use brass...i was pretty shocked by that. But to play it safe I'm sticking with plastic

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced the plastic plugs on my Tracker with galvanised with a liberal coating of never
sieze on the threads. Looked at the aluminum plugs from the above mentioned Summit
Racing, just might order a set. Regards, old jim

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI...I found jegs.com carries the aluminum plugs as well. I've done business with both Summit and Jegs in the past from my road racing days. Both good companies.

With all the debate of what is best I think I might just buy several of the cheap plastic plugs and change them out a couple of times a year.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm changing mine for the first time and my boat is 16 years old...so i think just replacing them with the plastic is fine. And for the cost of $5 every 16 years....probably the smallest expense on the entire boat.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Different strokes...

After snapping the plastic one off and losing a couple of hours figuring out how to get the remnants out of a hole accessible only to a contortionist, I bought 4 aluminum plugs from Jegs. $15.96 plus shipping (ordered a few other items too) and I expect I'll not have to ever deal with the things again. And if I do, should be easy in and out.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops...the aluminum plugs are $3.99 for a pack of two. Installed perfectly. Now i have four extras...

TangerineTripod

Recruit

I am in the process of trying to remove water from my Suntracker Party barge.

There is definitely water in there, boat sits 2 inches lower on port side and you can hear it sloshing around.

I purchased an adapter for my wet/dry vac intended to inflate ski tubes and the like. It reduces the hose to allow the attachment of a hose small enough to fit through vent hole, my red plastic plugs were just over finger tight so came out.

So far only got out about a cup of water and am still trying to "find" the rest.

Have now jacked up trailer to about 20 degrees, trying to pool up water. No success.

Are there baffles inside the separate chambers?

Any other ideas? I will try the blowing and listing for bubbles next.

Thanks.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year is your barge? Mine is a 1997. Definitely some type of baffles inside, but I don't have/know the details. I believe/hope their is some type of openings in baffles.

My toon was sitting about an inch lower on the port side. It wasn't noticeable. Discovered it when measuring the water line marks on the toons. I think lean may be more attributed to the fact that I have a 26 gallon tank and two batteries on the port side. That is somewhat countered by the steering console on the starboard side. Just mentioning that because you may not have as much water in your toon as you think.

The first time I heard water in mine was strange because I heard the "slosh" a few minutes after I unhooked the boat/trailer in my driveway. The boat was just sitting and as I walked by it, I heard a short slosh. very strange that the water moved inside the toon when the boat was not moving.

Let us know if you have any luck with the blow and bubble method.

jsholt

Recruit
I replaced the plastic plugs in the top of my 1996 Crest pontoon boat with livewell drain plugs from Walmart, and it worked perfectly. The small red plastic replacement plugs from the dealer are $8 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.