Kicker motor for the pontoon

BuckVegas

Cadet
Hello all, I would like to install a kicker motor on my pontoon. Looking for good ideas.

I have a 32 ft Tracker Party Cruiser with a 200 hp Suzuki 2 stroke. I recently bought a Tohatsu 4 stroke 25 hp with remote cables.

The main motor takes up all the space on the center toon so I have to mount the kicker on the left or right toon and they are not setup for it. I'm looking for a way to securely mount the kicker and allow for easy raising and lowering.

The main motor has a 25 inch shaft and the kicker has a 15 inch shaft.

Any advice will be appreciated.:)

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kicker motor for the pontoon

You will need to take the boat to an "experienced fab shop" to have a motor pad or bracket installed that will accommodate the kicker. You can't simply bolt things onto the tube. Welding is required. I've never seen anything that can be added to a tube to allow installation of a kicker. But because I've never seen it does not mean it doesn't exist.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going thru my photobucket album for pictures of my kicker set up. My pontoon is currently securely tarped and won't be opened back up until sometime in March.

Here we go( big pic)

Let me explain the bracket. ( yes, the floats are clean now ). The bracket is made of four main pieces. Angle which is bolted to the floor/back of the deck, two supports which bolt along the brackets in between the floats and the deck and the main plate which holds the spring assist lift for the kicker.

The original owner, Charlie, had the bracket made. He made a cardboard template and took that to a fab shop where the aluminum bracket was made.

Any other questions? I'll be happy to answer them.

Jeff

BuckVegas

Cadet

Thanks guys, Jeff, you showed me your set up a couple months back, before I found a kicker. I was impressed by it then, but the added details are helpful. My other problem with the Party cruiser is that the back end is about three+ feet above the toon since there is an enclosed tank and platform. Reaching all the way down to lower the motor will be really tough if not impossible without getting wet. I was looking at the electric Garelic mounts but they want around $1,800 for those puppies. That's more than the motor cost!
A marine owner here told me there use to be a crank mount on the market years ago in which the mount was cranked up and down some long poles that stuck up in the back of the boat. Doesn't look like those are around anymore. Guess they weren't so pretty, but probably the ticket for a situation like mine.

Don

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Don,
When I purchased my boat, the previous owner gave me an electric powered mount for the kicker.

Maybe something like that would work for you.

Jeff

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice

Jeff, who is the manufacturer of the electric hoist. Looks interesting for a kicker motor and mayby a trolling motor. I couldn't tell on the blow up what the name was on the assembly.:confused:Would appreciate any info you find on name, model etc you can find on it.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Powr Tran

http://www.powrtran.com/

It looks like mine is this model
http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart/showdetails.cgi?parts_id=9609

PB100SS
Power lift and lower your motor with the Pow'r OB Bracket.

The PB100 S.S. Pow'r OB Bracket operates at the push of a button from your boat's 12 volt battery. It eliminates awkward, back straining, manual lifting and lowering of your outboard motor.

Not recommended for use with four stroke engines.

FEATURES:
* Heavy duty, extruded aluminum frame.
* Electro-mechanical operation - no messy hydraulics.
* Heavy duty push button switch.