New Mercury 40 FourStroke Rattling/Screeching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mercury 40 FourStroke Rattling/Screeching

Hello. I just bought a new pontoon with a new Mercury FourStroke 40 motor. When in gear between 1700-2200 RPMs, there is a rattling/screeching sound that noticeably disappears when outside this range. It doesn’t happen in neutral and also doesn’t happen when trimmed up significantly.

Video: https://youtu.be/yEyEFGSXWfo

Doesn’t appear to be the cover or latch since it happens even with the cover off and when ensuring the latch is secure.

I can contact the dealer, but wanted to know if anyone has a
    quick fix for this issue. It doesn’t appear to have an impact on performance, but is certainly distracting and annoying. Shouldn’t be happening on a new motor!

While searching for the source of the sound, keep in mind that it may be coming from something near the engine rather than the engine. Every object has a natural vibration frequency and that vibration will increase when it is being stimulated at that "resonant frequency." It is likely that when your motor in in the 2000 RPM +/- range its vibration is stimulating something in or near the motor.

If you can safely reach back with a boat hook or broom handle to touch areas around the motor while the noise is present, you may find the spot it is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by unirocket View Post
      Shouldn’t be happening on a new motor!
      That's why it should go back to the dealer.
      BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

This is subjective as all get out, but I would never call what I am hearing in that video a rattle or screeching. I would call it harmonics or a resonance. It happens. It's a vibration set up by the motor running in a particular rpm range.

Too, I would not get in too big a hurry to call it a dealer responsibility or defect in the motor. I WOULD ask the dealer to give you a hand - if they are on the water. If it's a "dry" dealer, maybe they could spare a tech long enough for him to go for a ride with you?

Myself, I might be tempted to try a different pitched prop. Maybe one based on prop tuning with a target max rpm of about 5500. There's a chance that the prop itself could be causing the resonance.

Comment

Originally posted by ahicks View Post
          This is subjective as all get out, but I would never call what I am hearing in that video a rattle or screeching. I would call it harmonics or a resonance. It happens. It's a vibration set up by the motor running in a particular rpm range.

Too, I would not get in too big a hurry to call it a dealer responsibility or defect in the motor. I WOULD ask the dealer to give you a hand - if they are on the water. If it's a "dry" dealer, maybe they could spare a tech long enough for him to go for a ride with you?

Myself, I might be tempted to try a different pitched prop. Maybe one based on prop tuning with a target max rpm of about 5500. There's a chance that the prop itself could be causing the resonance.
          Thank you! I’m happy to report that I replaced a 3 blade prop with a 4 blade and slightly different pitch l, and that resolved the issue.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X