Pontoonloader System ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
save your money, and go to the launch and practice on a weekday.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with Scott on this one. Here are the high points for me.
  1. Practice backing your trailer so you can put the boat where you want it.
  2. Have a long rope secured to the bow of the boat on the side nearest the dock (or whatever you will tie to).
  3. Try to avoid windy days when learning.
  4. Wear water shoes.
  5. Have most of the stuff you want onboard in place.
  6. Raise the motor if needed to protect the prop.
  7. Back the trailer into the water so you can still climb aboard from the trailer.
  8. Grab the long rope and secure it to the dock with plenty of slack available.
  9. Get back in the truck and back farther into the water so the boat will float off the trailer. If you do it briskly, the boat will slide right off.
  10. Go to the rope at the dock, pull the boat to where you want it and tie it up.
  11. Get back in the truck and park and secure the trailer.
  12. Get on the boat, lower the motor and start it.
  13. When you are ready, cast off and enjoy.
I do this several times a year and it typically ties up the ramp for about 5 minutes.

Thanks gentleman. Good info. Im actually more concerned about loading the boat than I am disembarking. I do intend on getting out pre-season to practice. Thanks again .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Mark.

Backing a trailer is usually the most daunting task for new towers. I don't know how much experience you have with trailering, but a 700 buck do-dad to help put a toon back on the trailer isn't worth 2 cents if the trailer can't be backed down the ramp to launch in the first place. If you can back up a trailer, then never mind.

Remember - Sales videos always make a product look good. Like Scott said, do some mid-week launch and retrieval practice and save the money for gas.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
All you need is the guide on boards and common sense. You dont even NEED the guide on boards but they help a lot in wind or current. Just go slow and drive it right on. The key is to put the trailer at the right depth so its not too deep or shallow. It would be the same with the thing in the video if it was too deep it would go right over the guide ons and too shallow the pontoon will have a hard time getting on the trailer. I usually load my pontoon by myself and am usually quicker than any other boats at any given ramp. If you are in wind or current do it just like the video where you are facing the wind or current and put the inside tube against the guide on and use the motor to SLOWLY pivot the toon around it while going forward very slowly and it will go right on straight every time. If you have any more questions just ask.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
To make loading my boat consistently easier, I added some DIY guide poles similar to those in the picture below. The bunks on my trailer are too deep to see easily so I line up the center of the boat with the winch and try to get evenly spaced between the poles, and drive it right on. The poles also help me get the trailer at a consistent depth when positioning it on the ramp.

maxresdefault.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral
Looks like a gadget that will be useless after 4-5 trips...The description says it's adjustable for different launch ramp depths,, which means it would need to be changed for different launch ramp depths and angles, seems like a huge hassle to me.

Key to loading is proper trailer depth, which you'll need to figure out for your boat/trailer. On my 18' Vhull it's the tops of the trailer fenders lapping at the water's surface, on my 14' jon boat it's the rear tips of the bunks at the water's surface. Myself, I sight center of the boat to to the trailers winch stand to line it up, making steering adjustments during approach, usually starting 50 yards back.

Agree with the others, practice during the week when the launch ramps is deserted, so you get the hang of loading, then throw in some wind and or current. 99% of the time I load under the boat's power, but if it's real gnarly, I'll dunk the trailer close to the launch ramp and "walk it onto" the trailer

MRS

Commander
one thing I did if you have a ladder on the trailer in front is to wrap electrical tape around the rail that lines up with the ladder so you have something to line up with when loading the pontoon up on the trailer. Works great but if the wind is blowing hard make sure your tops are down before loading because it is like a big sail and will push you where it wants to. Plus I did add post on the trailer to line up the pontoons on the trailer will try to get some photos this weekend to show you.
The post are on the inside of the pontoons not the outside.

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
Here is what I did with the tape on the rail really helps to line up on the trailer at least for me.
Plus here are the trailer post on the trailer really help also.

Attachments

• photo325292.jpg
    photo325292.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo325293.jpg
    photo325293.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

gtopper

Cadet
I boat in the three rivers around Pittsburgh Pa. the current and wind can get pretty strong at times making it really difficult to load . I got one two years ago hoping that it would help some. It is absolutely the best money iv ever spent on the boat (other than the new 4 stroke). It works exactly as advertised.I obviously highly recommend it.

Rich1950

Cadet
Mark, I checked into that system and found that the price had more than doubled from its origination. I fabricated something similar to it for just over $100 and I think the on line price was close to $700.

The most difficult part of the fabrication was getting some metal heavy enough to take a boat hit and not bend. This metal is the part that bends inward from each side at about a 22 degree bend. I just used some 18 inch guide poles and attached my 2x4s to them.

At the crook of each bend, I stick a piece of pool floaty about 18 inches in length and all I have to do is aim the center of the boat between them and I hit it first time 99% of the time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No longer own a pontoon, but when I had my previous 26', this would have been invaluable for some of my recoveries! I load/unload at one ramp at a lake, but occasionally have to deal with 25+ mph winds while loading. A ramp that faces east + 25mph north wind + 26' pontoon makes for all kinds of fun! (there is no dock, and no access to tie a side rope on)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
save your money, and go to the launch and practice on a weekday.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's not hard to load my boat on my bunk trailer?? I can back the trailer, pull the boat on winch it to the front and pull off in less that two minutes from the time I dunk my trailer. Now it takes way longer than that in reality. Because I have to walk like a quarter mile to the truck , pull it down. Then I want down the dock and not run. I pull boat on trailer, take down Bimini top that's up 90% of the time, take all the stuff off my boat, like coolers towels and toys, then I get off the boat in front winch it up get in and pull up the ramp then put my rear straps on. But actually loading the boat when trailer is in the water and I am pulling boat onto trailer literally takes 30 seconds. Including winching on .

Now in salt water with a huge mid tide ripping through the river and a strong cross wind it can add difficulty to the job but not impossible if you have done it before.

Cliff Knudson

Recruit
I wrote to this company as I had a few basic questions. I have a 30' Party hut, the solid enclosure acts like a sail. Lots of fun in 25 mph loading. The company responded saying I would need taller and stronger rear assembly(which I figured), but could not tell me how much more it would cost. I left message asking how thick the aluminum is and did not get a response back.
I priced using 1/4" angle aluminum and I was surprised to see the cost was about the same. So I am guessing they are using a much thinner aluminum. Going to put my own pvc covered guides on back and see how that works. I have had this pontoon 20 years and wind has always been a pain. Too slow and your backing out to try again, too fast and you risk damaging boat, trailer or both! Now I know why pirates always said ARGGHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.