Repowering 1995 Sylvan Marine 24ES4 824 Special Edition

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1995 Sylvan with a 90hp Force 2 stroke. I'm considering repowering with a Mercury 4 stroke. My Force weighs 280 lbs. Thee Mercury 60hp weighs 247 and the 90hp 359. Should I go with the lower weight 60? My boats tilts somewhat with the Force what would it do with an additional 80 lbs? The max hp is 150.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My old two log 24' pontoon boat had a 90 Force on it when I bought it. In an attempt to gain some speed, I replaced the engine pod and mounted an old 2-cycle 150 Force. It failed after a season and I now run a new 4-cycle Mercury 115. The boat sits low in the back when at rest and I make a point of loading people and gear toward the front. It levels out when underway. ... My only complaint is that the stern-low posture causes all water to go aft causing mold problems where the floor stays wet much of the time.

ahicks

Captain
Like Tommy says, the 115 is going to lower it in the back noticeably. I would ask one question. Are you going to be pulling anything bigger than a tube with a small child? If no, go with the 60. If you are, go with the 115.

About one thing, there is no doubt. You will be patting yourself on the back for buying a four stroke for a long time. I converted 2 years ago after nearly a lifetime of 2 strokes. Now completely spoiled....

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't pull anyone so you answered my question. The 60 would work for me.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
My old two log 24' pontoon boat had a 90 Force on it when I bought it. In an attempt to gain some speed, I replaced the engine pod and mounted an old 2-cycle 150 Force. It failed after a season and I now run a new 4-cycle Mercury 115. The boat sits low in the back when at rest and I make a point of loading people and gear toward the front. It levels out when underway. ... My only complaint is that the stern-low posture causes all water to go aft causing mold problems where the floor stays wet much of the time.

Did your Quicksilver remote and Force wiring work with the Mercury or did you have to go new?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had to go with new stuff. I also got the Mercury SC1000 montior that provides RPM, fuel useage, water temp, volts, etc.