Do I need new logs?

shardy217

Seaman Apprentice
Hey folks,

Just wanted to get some thoughts before I made a irrational decision.

The boat: 1989 Harris Kayot 240

I posted several weeks ago about a leaky toon. I found a shop in northern Illinois to do the pressure testing/welding. They did a nice job on the front of the toon - basically having to patch the whole thing. Talking to the owner he said the logs were oxidating from the inside (and the outside is bad too) and that as soon as I hit something hard the new patch is going to bust apart. Once I got home I noticed the top of one of the M brackets on the inside far rear of the log had completely busted off which wasn’t like that prior to being at the shop. Anyway - what I’m getting at is there very brittle.

I found a gentleman that sells warranty toons for $1600/pair. Is this worth it or am I making a stupid decision? I want to keep the boat as I’ve customized it to my needs. Is it smarter to just try and find a trashed pontoon boat with no title and strip the logs off of it? The owner of the shop told me they didn’t use very good aluminum on these things til the mid 90’s/early 2000’s. What are your thoughts?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is labor going to cost to swap the logs, or would you do it yourself?

To keep your boat and you do the labor $1600 is not a bad deal to keep a boat that you like. If your going to have to pay labor add that to the cost and weigh if your comfortable with the cost to keep your boat on the water. Pontoons are getting expensive to buy used in good shape. If you like what you have e and it's more than just a stripped deck it probably would be worth repairing yours .

ahicks

Captain
Likely make a nice DIY project if you're up for that sort of thing. If you have to hire it out, probably much harder to justify.

I guess what the boat is worth as is vs. one with new (used) toons would be part of the call. I would want to check out these "warranty" 'toons pretty closely prior to making a purchase.

Be a good chance to build a "hot rod" toon with oversize (25"+) toons and lift strakes if you are going to the trouble/expense....

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did it last year to a 1987 weeres 20 footer that had pitted and cracked 21" toons. Now its got 22' 25" diameter toons with strakes. I think it was worth it since i cant afford a new one.then i had to get a new trailer lol. It was fun.

shardy217

Seaman Apprentice
How much did you pay for new logs if you don’t mine me asking? I’m open to suggestions on where to get logs

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I cant believe there is a market for old toons...I have always just waited for the price of aluminum to go up and then scrap them. Maybe I ought to figure out craigslist next time I have some...

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got mine off of craigslist for $1600 i think? They had a few dents on the rear of the starboard log
greatlakes skipper has them in Wisconsin but they dont ship.