Help - New Home, Skinny water

Hey everyone, first of all thanks for the taking the time to offer me a little guidance. I just bought home on a lake. I have little to no boating expierence. We had intended on buying a Poontoon boat to take fanily and friends out on. My brother in law just informed me the part of the lake we bought a house on is in the northeast corne y1r of a bay that is very low water and rocky. There is an area surrounding the house that is only 2 ft dp according to the images he sent me. I uploaded it for reference. According to satelite images all of my neighbors in that area have docks and boats. I guess my question is my pontoon party dream a reality, what kind of pontoon do I need to buy, and what modifications are necessary to accomodate the conditions yet allow me to have a floating party barge. Thanks for your help, I appreciate all the recomendations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-080314_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-080314_Samsung Internet.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307462.jpg
    photo307462.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If your neighbors all have docks and boats, ask them how they navigate through the shallow waters into the deeper sections. Maybe they have a special route to avoid any issues. If indeed you do have only 2 feet on water up to your dock, you still can boat in it providing you navigate slowly out to the deeper water. A lot of boats don't draft that much water when moving very slowly. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
talk to your neighbors.

I would also look at a powered jack plate on a pontoon in skinny water (in addition to Tilt n Trim)

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In addition to the above good advice, let me add these boat design basics so you can pick a boat more likely to meet your needs.
  1. All surface boats operate on the principle of bouancy. That is, they float because the part of the boat that is below the surface displaces the amount of water that weighs the same as the boat and everything on it. So if a boat weighs 2,000 pounds, it must displace 2,000 pounds of water, and that converts to about 32 cubic feet of water.
  2. If the part of the boat that is displacing the water (e.g., pontoons) is longer and wider, it can displace a given amount of water without sinking as deeply as one that is shorter and narrower. So, for a given weight boat, the one with the longer and wider pontoons will ride higher in the water.
  3. If you have to choose between a heavier boat with larger pontoons and a lighter boat with smaller pontoons, you might have to see it in the water to see which one rides higher.
  4. If you plan to carry a heavy load (e.g., 8 more people) from time to time, the boat with the larger pontoons will likely not go down into the water as much as the boat with the smaller pontoons.
  5. If the weight load in the boat is heavy toward the rear, the propeller (which is likely the lowest point on the boat) will sit lower than if the boat is balanced. Consider that when you decide what weight motor to get and where the fuel tank and battery are mounted.
  6. Lastly, if you only have a short distance of shallow water, you can move the people and equipment on the deck around to help the propeller clear any obstacles. Then move things where you like when in deeper water.
Good luck in your boat hunt.

tpenfield

Staff member
A pontoon may be your best bet in terms of navigating skinny water. As stated, talk it up among the neighbors to see the realities.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure where that is but agree wih talking to neighbors, see what they do - it can be done.

We have a place on a baythat gets very shallow near shore. The seasonal dock is part walk-way out to deeper water,still not too deep with a floating section on the end where boats are docked and dock-days are spent. The kids used a PWC's jet discharge to make dock location under boats drive a little deeper to account for wave action, and sleep easier that drives/props have more clearance

ahicks

Captain
All I'm going to say is that pontoon boats have a reputation for their ability to float on a wet rag. With a normal load, I think you'll be fine in 2' of water.

If there are shallower areas, ask your neighbors if it would be OK if you marked them with anchored milk bottles long enough to learn where they are at. I would doubt many would have an issue with that.

Congrats on the new place! Welcome to lake front living. It's a place many of us joined, and would never even consider leaving.... I've been one for over 40 years now, as have MANY of my neighbors. A very low turn over rate among owners, so a fair percentage of the homes on our lake have been inherited! -Al

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Also, big engines are heavy so if you only want to drive around at party speed and not ski, tow a tube ect, a 50-70 should do you well and they are light, about 200 lbs.

The less weight you have on the back of the boat the higher it will float, also smaller engine will save you a ton of money both in purchase price and fuel.