Tapered Pontoon stern

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to pontoons, and learning.
Something I notice is there is a large amount of wake left behind, as the toons are blunt in the rear.
Has anyone considered of seen a toon with a tapered tail.
As inefficient as toons are for moving through the water, I would think it would inprove the laminar flow of the toon, and increase efficiency, speed.
Any thoughts?

ahicks

Captain
If you look at some of the older 'toons, you may see some that are tapered. ALL of the newer 'toons, ones I've seen anyway, are flat or nearly flat.

As far as efficient, you see no attempt on the part of power boat manf's to do anything to taper the back. There, 90 degree (+-) sharp exits are the norm.

The only attempt I've seen at anything close to "laminar" might be with sailboat design, on hulls run at displacement speeds.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
RadioDave,
I suspect the taper on the boat in your image has more to do with allowing the propeller to access water than with reducing drag. It's been almost 50 years since I got my degree in Aero Engineering so my recollections may not be perfect. But I think there are some fundamental differences in the way compressible fluids like air flow, and the way incompressible fluids like water flow. I'm not sure that water reacts to an abrupt rear surface like air does. In any case I suspect boat builders would offer the tapered rear you suggest if they could show a performance gain that would justify a higher price. It appears that lifting strakes offer a more consistent performance gain.

ahicks

Captain
Regarding the design of the boat in the drawing, methinks it might be designed for speeds well in excess of what we might even dream of when considering pontoon boat design.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A pontoon boat is a displacement hull..... Your governed by the physics of a displacement hull

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks, I'll study on the lifting strakes.

and you may need a third log....... and a whole lot more power than you most likely have.

unless you have over 150hp, dont even bother with the lifting strakes

you have a displacement hull. to get the hull to plane, you need significantly more power than a planing hull.

ahicks

Captain
You can argue that "planing" point all day long if you like, but I have seen and owned 24' 'toons that will plane easily, achieving speeds well in excess of what a typical "displacement only" hull might achieve. So, at 15 mph plus, with just 40 and 50 hp engines, you can say that 'toon is planing, or you can call it something else. Suit yourself.

Further, there is nothing special about these boats. No lifting strakes or 3rd toons. See the speed vs. hp chart in this document on page 3. These are plane old boats, and typical speeds which can be expected of them. It should be easily seen these speeds would not be achievable in a displacement hull.

Point being, you don't need 150hp or lifting strakes, or a center toon, to plane a toon.

View attachment pontoonspeedchart.pdf

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yet people cant match the speed that Reed Marine published in that one chart.

Been around 'toons since I have been boating., you are right, there is nothing special about them.

here is a chart from a database of pontoons taken from actual test data [h=2]Pontoon Boat Speed Chart[/h]
Bass Buggy18 feet60 hp17 mph
Bass Buggy20 feet60 hp18 mph
Sweetwater24 feet90 hp18 mph
Sweetwater24 feet115 hp21 mph
Gigantic30 feet115 hp21 mph
Suntracker22 feet70 hp21 mph
Starcraft20 feet23 mph23 mph
Party Barge18 feet75 hp24 mph
Suntracker22 feet115 hp25 mph
Tritoon21 feet90 hp27 mph
Tritoon21 feet90 hp27 mph
Crest III26 feet90 hp28 mph
Tritoon26 feet175 hp35 mph
Berkshire Sport RFX925 feet300 hp50 mph
Bennington QR2728 feet250 hp51 mph
Premier Pontoons 29029 feet600 hp52 mph
South Bay Super Sport 92527 feet600 hp57 mph
Manitou 25 X-Plode XT SHP26 feet300 hp62 mph
Harris Crowne SL 25027 feet350 hp63 mph
PlayCraft X-Treme 311031 feet400 hp65 mph

Pontoon Type Pontoon Length Horsepower Top Speed

ahicks

Captain
Well, even though that chart doesn't include 40-50hp outboards, it looks to me like that chart makes about the same point I was making. Using your chart, 60 hp will take a boat WELL beyond what most would consider "displacement " speed (9 mph tops?). Beyond that common sense would tell you that as you add power your speed is going to increase. Until you get to a certain point anyway. Then all you're doing is burning more gas with very little extra to show for it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
still displacement speed for a multi-hull boat. (same reason a catamaran sail boat is faster than a mono-hull)

not the old 1.34:1 ratio, however closer to 2.8:1 on a pontoon.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
With all that is going on in front of the endcaps don't kwow that the shape of the end caps would make much if any difference.

The underside of a toon at speed is a mess with the wake of 2-3 tubes trying to occupy the same space, they are just horribly inefficient.

There are a lot of chine design that attempt to deal with this but don't; know that any endcap design would improve performance at all.

ahicks

Captain
Scott Danforth;n10667429[U said:
]still displacement speed[/U] for a multi-hull boat. (same reason a catamaran sail boat is faster than a mono-hull)

not the old 1.34:1 ratio, however closer to 2.8:1 on a pontoon.

If that's true, please explain why the front of the toon rises as the boat accelerates from a stop, and eventually levels out as the hull comes up to speed.

Regarding catamarans at speed, the reason they're so fast is reduced wetted area. Kinda like when 'toon get's up on top.

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
Simple truths.
Wife gave up boating 16 years ago.
after 33 years of marriage, lost her to inflammatory breast cancer March 12th.
kids brought up boating again.
wanted to try a toon this time.
1996 Suntracker 20 feet.
garage kept almost never used.
sold 1996.
new owner had to service the fuel system.
he got a few trips, wife left him took the kids.
furniture, deck, carpet, looks all new.
decals shrunk.
runs like new after sea foam once.

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
Bought the boat, motor, trailer for 6k.

1996 sun tracker.
2 20 foot 25 inch toons.
16 feet of playpen.
40 horse tracker with tilt.
45 pound Motorglide trolling motor.

was garage kept, factory tires even looked new.
ran a tank of sea foam, behaves like new.
flooring, furnature look new.
first time out, 9 to 11 mph on gps.
serviced tilt, added Stingray wing to motor from my old boat, can lift nose with 2 fatties in front.
11 to 13 mph.
I notice the tach breaks 5000 rpm from the start and stays there.

how do you tell the pitch?

perhaps I need a different prop.

17 mph would be a dream.
I would go 13 mph, save fuel.

ahicks

Captain
The Tracker engines are renamed Chrysler engines that were developed back in the 70's, or maybe I should say they stopped developing them back in the 70's. Mercury was supplying them to Tracker mounted on top of Merc. lower units. Anyway, they're built like a truck, but not very popular from a performance standpoint. Single carb and Merc lower unit makes them easy to work on.

For best performance available from that engine, you want to prop the engine to turn at the upper rpm limit the Manf. recommends for that engine. We can make suggestions for the right size if we know your target max rpm, what the engine is turning now, and what pitch prop is on it now (info will be on the prop somewhere).

After that, you need to keep the boat light if speed is of any importance. Carry only safety equipment and stuff you'll be using frequently - don't carry stuff you "might" need!

And congrats on your find. That boat should treat you right for a long time!

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
It seems we were nearly fully loaded

Attachments

• photo302883.jpg
    photo302883.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 1

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
22 gallons of fuel probably 200 pounds of gear, full livewell, 5 people.
135 pounds a person?
about 900 pounds worth.
bet the bimini top is an option, too.
around 90 percent loaded would be a good guess.
hell, that Motorguide x3 45 probably 60 pounds alone.
11 miles per hour.
I'm told if I take care of the motor, it could outlast me, just turned 60.
bouts gonna diet, retest.