propeller size 60 hp merc 18 foot tracker

danalex

Seaman
I finally got my motor running well, took it out today. Idle at 600-800 rpm. In forward, it seemed to slip out of gear, or almost, so I need to adjust shift linkage a little I think. It comes out of the hole great, no bogging at all, and speed increases up to around 4000 rpm. Adding more throttle at that point raises the pitch of the motor but the pontoon doesn't go any faster that I can tell. I do not have power tilt and trim but the top of the motor is almost level and the boat appears to be on plane. Do I need a different propellor? Recommendations? 1986 mercury 3 cylinder 2 stroke, about to go look at the prop to get pitch and diameter. Motor tops at about 5500 rpm, I may limit that to 5300. Gotta look at the manual.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How many logs? Strakes for planing or not? Speed at 4000 RPM? 5300 RPM?

P.S. It's hard to give good advice without accurate speed info. If you don't have anything else, there is likely an app for your phone that can give you GPS speed.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Is this Merc outboard a standard or "Big Foot" version. These two motors have different gearing and as such require very different propellers. If the motor is a Big Foot it will say so on the cowl.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have someone else drive the boat. On plane, anti ventilation plate should be at or above waterline. If no you will need to adjust trim and or raise / lower the engine. Then work on the prop.

Likely you you will then go with a lower pitch prop.