Old MonArk year? Anyone???

Mapquest68

Cadet
I recently aquired an old 17' MonArk from my father in law's estate. The last time this boat was in the water was 1993. It has an old Mercury Thunderbolt 650 65 HP motor that he "Let the smoke out of it" back in 94'. It's either a 69 or 74 year model on motor. Can't really see the the motor tag that well from where it's at. I want to restore and modernize both boat and motor. So far I've been unable to tell the year model on the boat. It has a model number of 8 17 which tells me it's a 17' boat. Serial number is 64835. I've not been able to find anything on this. Can someone tell me the year by this? I'm guessing 1983...
I will be hitting you guys up for info as I start getting into this thing. I'm planning on dropping a 60 hp Johnson on it from a local shop but want to bring the old Mercury back to life as a labor of love if it's feasible. I'm not holding my breath on it due to it's age. Just want to try.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't help with the year, but I wonder why it makes any difference. It's unlikely to yield any information that will help you with the restoration.

Mapquest68

Cadet
It doesn't really mean anything. When I get the title I'm sure the year should be on it. It's just one of those things that I wonder about. Drives me nuts because I can't seem to find it on my own. I will start hitting you guys for advice on my old Merc though. I spent a little bit of time this afternoon walking around on deck and there is only one spot that seems to have any punky old wood. It is under a seat at the front edge of the boat. It was on the side that faced the weather. The only thing that saved this old girl was my Father in Law stored it under an awning The motor and right side of the boat were partially exposed to weather. Gotta break out the pressure washer and get busy once I get all the old crap out from under it and off the bow. Once I get started I will post videos and pics. Lots to do.

Last edited:

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
From the serial number you showed it is a 1968 boat, center digit is the last number of the year.