A Free Project or Free Nightmare?

Salty Dog 71

Recruit
Screenshot_20180718-193943_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180718-194006_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180718-194726_Chrome.jpg A family member just bought a new boat, so they drug this to my house and said I could have it. It's a 1994 Lowe 245. I want to strip it down to the Toons and start building her backup, but only do it with modern stuff so it will look like a brand new pontoon. I'm even shopping for a new engine. My question is about the decking. I found a company that sells aluminum planks that interlock. There is a video on YouTube of someone who did a 1986 Crest pontoon rebuild using aluminum. My worry is will the furniture, console, capts chairs, etc. that will be bolted or screwed down, eventually pull or tear out and up through the aluminum? I also want to buy and add a 3rd toon. Any of you remodel experts that can help me will be appreciated.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just use exterior grade plywood for the deck. It will last longer than you own the boat

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I took my old pontoon boat down to the bare deck before rebuilding it with all new furniture. The only things that were bolted to the deck were the fence, the console for the steering wheel, and the captain's chair. The captain's chair was held down with bolts that went through the deck and had large washers and nuts on the underside. The rest of the furniture simply sits within the walls formed by the fence and has never hinted at moving. .... If you want to use aluminum, just reinforce the underside with large washers where you expect the forces to be high.

Salty Dog 71

Recruit
Thanks Chief. Scott, I may just do that. I didn't want to have to ever do this again. Not even for when I eventually sell it. I was thinking about that for the future.

fishrdan

Admiral
Look for "pontoon decking", it's CCA pressure treated plywood that's safe for aluminum. Most pressure treated (green) plywood is not aluminum safe and will eat the boat. I wouldn't use untreated plywood, or try to seal up the toon decking.

FWIW, aluminum is a royal pain to cut if you don't have the right tools. I paid $80 for an aluminum/plastic 10" blade, and it cuts aluminum like butter. Before that I used my other "wood" blades, and it was like cutting steak with a dull butter knife...

ahicks

Captain
Angle grinder is an awesome weapon when it comes to rebuilding a 'toon. Will cut rusty bolts and alum. with equal ease, and much easier to control than a saw. Harbor freight offers them at a price that makes them pay for themselves on this one project alone....

Re: the decking, that aluminum decking is not cheap, and to be structurally sound, "planks" should run from front to rear.

I looked at a ton of options prior to doing ours last year, including 5/4 planks (wood and composite), plastic sheeting, and diamond plate. I settled on plywood, for the reason Scott mentioned above. I won't be around when it needs to be replaced again.

I would caution against the "green" stuff too. The ply you're after is going to be 75-100 bucks a sheet by time you get it. I did find that I could get it a little cheaper if it was not shipped to a "residential" address. I had it shipped to a local trucking terminal and picked it up myself. Pretty painless way to save a few bucks....

Best of luck on your project! -Al

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you are looking at longevity, invest in stainless fasteners regardless of which options you use. It is a requirement if you go the aluminum route, galvanic corrosion and all.

My personal preference is carpeted plywood. I have been on aluminum decks and composite decks. Two concerns with those that I really disliked. 1) The heat! Baking in the sun, that was some hot aluminum! 2) Traction. I have kiddos that swim off the pontoon ad as soon as the deck was wet, Yikes!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, buddy's Crest pontoon is going on about 26 years and it was simply ACX exterior grade roof sheeting with carpet glued to the top. about $40 a sheet today at lowes.

ahicks

Captain
Not the first time I've seen that. My perspective though, would ask if the couple hundred bucks difference in the price of the ply was worth the gamble on having to spring for new carpet and the time/trouble to strip the railing, wiring, and furniture for a re-decking project sooner than necessary. Too chicken for that gamble here I guess.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever glassed over the plywood and put snap in carpet in their pontoon? I volunteer Salty Dog 71 to be the guinea pig for that project :laugh:

Groo

Seaman
Diamond plate welded to the cross members would probably be where I'd go with it if I strayed from the OEM style plywood.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I would stick with marine plywood, it is easy to work with and lasts forever.

A bit pricey but you certainly don't want to do this again.

Be sure to use a foam tape or something to separate the ply from the crossmembers, they don't play well together.

And agreed, spend the extra on stainless hardware.