Power Pole or Talon on pontoon boat?

skipg

Cadet
Hi, thinking about something like a Power pole or Talon for a 22 ft. pontoon boat. Feasible?
Also, is it o.k. to mount on rear of boat and should I think about 2 of them!
Obviously twice as expensive.
I assume I'll need to add another battery as well.

Thanks for any advice
Skip

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
anything is feasible. however you will need two of them on a pontoon. a pontoon has a big sail area if the wind picks up. regarding batteries, that is up to you.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All the "big fancy bass boats" run them here, thing is unless your on top of an mnt top island or 5 ft from the bank, all of our water in the TVA lakes are way too deep, I guess it is an option on a $90k boat and they look good :D

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I keep thinking of adding 2 or 4 spud poles to my toon for anchoring in shallow water. but that's because I like to build stuff and cant afford a talon or power pole.

icwingman

Seaman
I have a 10 ft single talon on my 22dx fishing barge, works great you have to wait for the wing to pivot you and then your done, fish your heart out, i boat in the gulf and it even hold in choppy water 6-7 ft deep no problem, you dont need a extra battery but i would turn off battereys when on trailer, there is a power drain from talon or put in an on off switch.

icwingman

Seaman
remember whatever you get will probably just mount to floor aft deck, i had to ad a steel plate 1/4 thick to deck and under deck to sandwhich it together.