Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Updated 9/29/20 - Upgrades have been pushed until 10/7/20

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?
    When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing mold/mildew from vinyl seats

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing mold/mildew from vinyl seats

What is a good product that will remove mold/mildew from my pontoon seats? We tried the Roll Off which is a fantastic cleaner but did not do a lot with our seats. any ideas?

bathroom cleaners with bleach
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
      bathroom cleaners with bleach
      This!

Tilex Mold and Mildew Bathroom cleaner is what I use (they make a Soap Scum one too—not that one)—I just spray it on and leave it a few seconds then wipe it off with a damp rag. A heavy coating of mildew may take a second time but don’t let it stay on the vinyl for more than 20-30 seconds—thats usually plenty of time to remove the mildew. If the vinyl still has black spots, that’s a stain that’s discolored the vinyl—the cleaner will kill the mold and you’ll need to scrub the black spots out separately.

I also use it in the corners of my carpets where the green mold grows—on that, I just spray a little on the mold and leave it—it kills it instantly and helps keep it from coming back.

Comment

I use watered down bleach . . .
        Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 SS O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish, Boston Whaler 13
        Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 SS
        Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980), Evinrude 25 HP (1992), Yamaha 3 (1990)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Originally posted by jetboater View Post

This!

Tilex Mold and Mildew Bathroom cleaner is what I use (they make a Soap Scum one too—not that one)—I just spray it on and leave it a few seconds then wipe it off with a damp rag. A heavy coating of mildew may take a second time but don’t let it stay on the vinyl for more than 20-30 seconds—thats usually plenty of time to remove the mildew. If the vinyl still has black spots, that’s a stain that’s discolored the vinyl—the cleaner will kill the mold and you’ll need to scrub the black spots out separately.

I also use it in the corners of my carpets where the green mold grows—on that, I just spray a little on the mold and leave it—it kills it instantly and helps keep it from coming back.
          Do you use the same thing to remove the Black spots or something else? We also have parts of the seats that are blue, will the Tilex dis-color the blue?

Comment

I use bleach but be careful with it getting trapped in stitched crevices because it can weaken some types of threads. I usually follow up with a pressure washer rinse.
            The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

I mix up a spray bottle of bleach water with a bit of laundry detergent. A soft bristle brush for scrubbing, and a garden hose for rinse
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I keep a bottle of Clorox kitchen cleaner +bleach onboard as a general cleaner. Works great on mold

Comment

All of the above, and then I use Mr. Clean magic erasers on the tough spots. Be careful with them though, they work well but are somewhat abrasive.
                  '06 Forester 19 Fish pontoon
                  '91 Merc 50 50ELPTO
                  '83 Sea Nymph 171 CC Striper deep V aluminum hull
                  '85 70 Johnson
                  '97 Dodge ram 1500 pickup
                  Fishin' and 'tooning on the Raystown Branch
                  Huntingdon County, PA
                  sigpic

My Sea Nymph 171 CC restoration, SC conversion
                  https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=507464

Comment

Originally posted by jlscjs View Post

Do you use the same thing to remove the Black spots or something else? We also have parts of the seats that are blue, will the Tilex dis-color the blue?
                    My seats are three shades of brown/taupe and itdoesnt discolor them—-may want to try whatever you decide to,ise on the inside edge of a seat where its blue to make sure it doesnt affect the color.

Fortunately, I’ve been able to catch the mildew before it became black stains/spots so I dont gphav efirst hand experience in removing it. I think some folks have used Simple Green and others have had to resort to a Magic Eraser. Might want to do a search for “black spots” and you’ll see more recommendations on removing them.

Comment

Hot water and lots of brillo pads..

Comment

Clorox makes a product, "Clean-up, Cleaner + Bleach" Comes in a spray bottle. The nozzle on the bottle has a 2 way valve so you can turn it off when not in use and it won't leak out. I have a 1999 Landau with white/teal upholstery and use it at least twice during the season to keep the white white. Also, the boat sits in the sun,, on the water all summer.
                        This stuff works wonders...
                        I'm just a beer-lover with a fishing problem...

Comment

Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover. Dont waste your time with mixing bleach, this stuff works great and you can find it at some Walmart stores, but i usually buy online.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/mildew...ategory_id=570

2012 Sweetwater Premium 220DL Tritoon - 150 Mercury Optimax
                          1997 Crest 22' Pontoon / 1998 Mercury 75hp - SOLD
                          1992 24' Riviera Cruiser Pontoon -Made into beer cans
                          1990 Bayliner Capri 2250 4.3l Alpha 1 -SOLD
                          1988 17' Maxum Bowrider with 85hp Force -SOLD
                          York, PA

Comment

A mix of 3/4 Clorox + 1/4 hydrogen peroxide applied with a sponge, let sit for 10 minutes, wipe off with a wet towel and rinse with fresh water. For the stains that has formed inside the corrugated surface, same mix applied and brushed off with a medium hard toothbrush. Use gloves and eye protection glasses when applying...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
                            X