Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Hi Moneymakin!

Desode can tell you best how he arranged his set up, but I think I have it all listed in several posts found in that link above. I made a 2 piece wood floor that is simply wedged under the side tubes of the boat. I screwed a seat swivel to the bottom of each seat, then cut and painted a piece of plywood, the same size as the top of the milk crate and screwed that to the swivel. Two small pieces of wood 1"x2" x 12" were screwed to the underside of the plywood, to keep it from sliding off the crate.

I trusted gravity to keep the seat on the crate and the crate on the wood floor, for the 1st few boat trips. Then one time I leaned over and found myself in the lake! The photo in my April 11 post on that link shows cinch straps that go through the floor and up over the crate and wood. These hold the seat to the crate and the wood floor very well.

Let me know if you would like, and I coould take a close up photo of the cinch straps and how they are set up.

geo2005

Cadet

Geo: I have a Sevylor HF360, which is a similar boat, and I made seats using milk crates. There are 2 pictures of these seats in an older thread on this website. Click on this link and look for posts I made this time last year. I hope they help.

http://forums.iboats.com/inflatable...ry-sevylor-fish-hunter-floorboard-528788.html

Thank you so much !
Unfortunately, it seems that English is my biggest problem :grumpy:
My problem is not how to put the chair at a certain height; it's the chair itself :)
This is I need to do it myself... the chair !

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geo: I'm sure you are better speaking English than I am speaking yours native language! No apologies necessary!
I am going fishing tomorrow and so will try to remember to take more picture of my seats. I hope they will help.

kenny25271

Cadet

I am looking for ideas to protect my Mariner 4 around the chambers when fishing I punctured my sevylor fish hunter and I do not wanna do the same thing to the Mariner. I wanna put extra layer of material around the chambers to prevent this but I do not wanna glue it I was thinking have a piece of pvc material sewen where you can take on and off with maybe a rope sewn in the seam where you could cinch it on the outside and just drape it on the inside any ideas out there.

Thanks

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geo: Here we go as promised:
The 1st photo shows my boat bottom, with slits in it and cinch straps in place.
The 2nd photo shows the crate in place and the cover that goes over it, with the 1"x2" firring pieces on the bottom, tokeep the seat from sliding around.
The 3rd shows the base of the seat, attached to the seat swivel, and the other side of the swivel attached to the crate cover.
When all are assembled, they are cinced down tight to keep the seat on the floor of the boat. I hope this helps.

Boat Floor Cinch Straps.jpgBoat Seat Box.jpgBoat Seat Swivel.jpg

geo2005

Cadet

Crystal clear !
Thx !

I think I should find something to replace the crate, there is no room for it in my car...
Maybe to replace it with the cooler, if it will resist to 130 kg and I'll find a way to keep it from sliding.

Unfortunately the trunk is fully loaded with the boat, the motor and the cooler.
The "coffin" on the roof is also full and small

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One minor detail, should you choose to go with the crate - Across the top of it, you can see a wire. Your concern about weight on your cooler, did come into play for me. I weigh 215lbs - 220lbs, and my weight caused the sides of the crate to bow outwards when I was on the seat. I used coat hanger wire and bent it into a staple shape, drilled 2 verticle holes in the crate and inserted the wire. This keeps the sides of the crate from bowing out so much. A slightly thicker wire would probably be better for me though.

Cgwhitter

Recruit

Hey everyone, I'm brand spankin' new to the thread, and I must say, FANTASTIC work from all of you gentlemen to your crafts! Truly a testament to human ingenuity. I'm a graduate student with a 2yr old son and I cant wait to take em on the water with me, but I absolutely cant afford a big-time bass boat or one of those unreliable jons that Ive seen people tip from time to time on the lakes here...lots of gators in this area.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to construct the hardwood floor, but I didn't see (or may have missed) anyone mention how to reinforce or keel seams. Any help would be humbly appreciated. Blessings and Honor

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gentlemen, an announcement: I just ordered my M4 and should have it on Thursday, Ebay $219 free shipping! 2013 model. First trip out will be Friday, as is, without any mods, just my motor mount and endura 30#....Although I plan to mod the hell out of it and probably just keep inflated and transport on the roof of my Blazer.

mrdrh99

Hi,

I could say that my seahaw II was more durable than the Mariner 4... used it lot more, and now, after a few uses, my intex mariner has a leak, is not big deal, i will patch it, but i think that is more easy to puncture the Intex Mariner that the Sea Hawk II. Nevertheless im not regret of buying the Intex Mariner, since is more big, i can make it a custom floor and has an inflatable keel.

Regards,
Aldo V.

Aldo, I have checked with Intex directly, the seahawk II is the new Mariner 3, other than the size and floor/keel, these boats are made of the exact same 3 layer material.

shotokan

Cadet
Basic questions

Basic questions

Howdy everyone!

I am new to boating, and have just received my Mariner 4. Pretty excited about getting out on the water for some RR. I have a few questions I hope youall would take time to answer for me.

- Most of the lakes in my area are restricted to electric motors. In youall experience, what are your thoughts on Minn Kota Endura C2 55 Transom - mount 12V 55 lb. Thrust Trolling Motor ? or any other suggestions?

- Should I be getting the 36 inch shaft?

-In terms of battery life, I have been reading various claims to how long they last....I am going to Lake Moomaw in WV at the end of the month for 2 days. I am planning on doing a boat ride to the camp site (about 1.5 miles) and will have about 500 lbs of gear in the boat. Do you guys think i can make it w/ one battery?

I have seen some freakn AWESOME boats on this thread, bravo.

any help is appreciated, thanks!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome Shotokan! While I am not new to boating or modding an inflatable, I got my Mariner 4 a week ago! I used a MinnKota Endura 30 on my Sevylor HF-360 and for 2 outings on my Mariner 4. I'm pretty impressed with how both move, though weight in the Mariner 4 has been limited so far. I think I read something about a 40 being a limit for the Mariner 4, but can't recall where or how reliable that is. I have considered a larger motor, though its hard to justify, and what I have looked at is the new MinnKota EnduroMax that came out last year. It has a 36" shaft vs my 30", plus a built in battery monitor, variable speed (not 5 presets) and most enticing, a supposed 5x longer use of the same battery, through more efficient use of the energy. Even if reality brings that down to 2x, that's a significant feature.

I found the 30" shaft had the prop a little high in the water on the Sevylor HF-360 but the lower riding motormount on the Mariner 4 seems to make 30" sufficient.

It is hard to conceptualize driving 1.5 miles, but off the top, I'd say you should have no problem. Would you have the ability to recharge once you got there, or do you have to get back on that too? Of course head winds will have an effect (as would the motor size and your speed). Good luck!

shotokan

Cadet

Welcome Shotokan! While I am not new to boating or modding an inflatable, I got my Mariner 4 a week ago! I used a MinnKota Endura 30 on my Sevylor HF-360 and for 2 outings on my Mariner 4. I'm pretty impressed with how both move, though weight in the Mariner 4 has been limited so far. I think I read something about a 40 being a limit for the Mariner 4, but can't recall where or how reliable that is. I have considered a larger motor, though its hard to justify, and what I have looked at is the new MinnKota EnduroMax that came out last year. It has a 36" shaft vs my 30", plus a built in battery monitor, variable speed (not 5 presets) and most enticing, a supposed 5x longer use of the same battery, through more efficient use of the energy. Even if reality brings that down to 2x, that's a significant feature.

I found the 30" shaft had the prop a little high in the water on the Sevylor HF-360 but the lower riding motormount on the Mariner 4 seems to make 30" sufficient.

It is hard to conceptualize driving 1.5 miles, but off the top, I'd say you should have no problem. Would you have the ability to recharge once you got there, or do you have to get back on that too? Of course head winds will have an effect (as would the motor size and your speed). Good luck!

CopperFox,

Thanks for the info, its much appreciated.

I will not have the option to recharge once I reach my camp site...I was considering having two batteries just in case...So I should be alright with the 36' shaft ? or would you recommend the 42'?

I will check out the EnduroMax as you suggested. Thanks!

mrdrh99

Hey copper, how well do you think a 3pc floor that has about a 2" lip/overlap on each end.....so that when put together you basically have 3 layers of floor at the joint? If the slated floor is as rigid as it sounds i think I'm only going with a 1/4" ply which should more evenly distribute the weight.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shotokan: I am pretty sure a 36" shaft will easily be long enough. A 2nd battery, if you have it will probably be a good safety feature. There's a possibility you won't need it, but if you use it once you are there (trolling) or have head winds, possibly both ways, or want to have it on max speed both ways, I'd take a 2nd battery.

MrDrH99: My Sevylor HF-360 came with a semi-rigid inflated floor. On top of that I put a 7/16" floor, made of 2 pieces, and they were not only not attached but had a 1" gap between them. For my Mariner 4, I decided to plan on taking out the slatted floor and replacing it with 15/32" plywood (2 x 4' lengths and a 1' nose cone). I just bought the wood last night, so anything beyond would be a guess. That said, I'm sure you'll have a nice solid floor, possibly more solid than mine. I am really pushing to be as light as possible, given I don't intend to stand in it for anything other than entering and exiting. I want the floor mostly to support a couple raised swivel seats with seat backs. My battery goes in the base of this. If the joint between pieces becomes a stability issue, I may cut a couple of 1-2' pieces of PVC tubing lengthwise to form a 'long-C', and slip one over each side of the boards, where they join, for rigidity. Let me know how yours turns out.

mrdrh99

Same to you, mine should be here tomorrow, can't wait to get started and make sure we get pics! I'll mainly have my swivel in the back, battery up front and a center shelf as a work area/mount for fish finder. I'm going to try the 3pc board and I'll share with everyone how will it works. I may also be making some custom trolling rod holders.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Basic questions

Re: Basic questions

Howdy everyone!

I am new to boating, and have just received my Mariner 4. Pretty excited about getting out on the water for some RR. I have a few questions I hope youall would take time to answer for me.

- Most of the lakes in my area are restricted to electric motors. In youall experience, what are your thoughts on Minn Kota Endura C2 55 Transom - mount 12V 55 lb. Thrust Trolling Motor ? or any other suggestions?

- Should I be getting the 36 inch shaft?

-In terms of battery life, I have been reading various claims to how long they last....I am going to Lake Moomaw in WV at the end of the month for 2 days. I am planning on doing a boat ride to the camp site (about 1.5 miles) and will have about 500 lbs of gear in the boat. Do you guys think i can make it w/ one battery?

I have seen some freakn AWESOME boats on this thread, bravo.

any help is appreciated, thanks!

I've got 36" Traxxis 55. It moves my Mariner with custom floor, two batteries, bunch of fishing tackle (6 rods), and two person at about 4.5 mph, depending on condition. I was planning on buying 42" shaft originally because I wanted to be able to use while standing, but I am glad I didn't. It would have been too long to operate from sitting position. I found the plop being just below surface the most efficient, while Minkota recommends lower.

For the batter question, that of course depends on the size of the battery, but assuming it is somewhere near 100Ah, one should be plenty. With my set up, 1.5 mile will only take 20-25 minutes. If you go max speed all the time, the power saver does not save any energy. 55 lb draws about 40A at max speed I think. So with 100Ah, you should get 2.5 hours roughly. Off course all of this depends on the condition. I bought 55 because I have to worry about wind and current where I fish.

mrdrh99

Loop or Copper, do either of you guys care to share the measurements of your floors? I'm wanting to get started on mine tomorrow, also, do your floors tuck under the tubes or not? Thanks! Share pics if you got 'em!!