Zodiac Air Pressure

purl

Cadet
I'm trying to get a feel for the right air pressure in my YL275R. It says it should be 3.4 psi. I don't have a gauge and am using a cheap foot pump that seems to pump it up in short order.Is there a rule of thumb for getting close to the correct press, like should I be able to sit on the tube (in water) without denting in the tube etc.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Zodiac Air Pressure

Most low end pumps put about 3 psi before you can't pump them anymore. But, I would suggest you pump it up to the point where your "light"thumb pressure does not dent it at all and your "heavy" thumb pressure indents no more than 1/4 inch.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you want all chambers to have same air pressure, buy a original Zodiac pressure gauge, probably the yellow push/pull one from any Zodiac distributer.

Happy Boating

carlh

Seaman Apprentice

I was taught that when an inflatable is at the correct pressure you should not be able to move the hard plastic cones at the the rear of each side.
Trying to think how to describe this but when you think pressure is right grab one of the cones with both hands and try to lift/fold it into the rest of the tube, if it moves you need more pressure.