Strengthening a vinyl boat bottom

dschild

Seaman Apprentice
This may be a little off the usual topics. But I bought an intex excursion 5 person boat for cheap. Yes, it absolutely is a you-get-what-you-pay-for situation. But I’m trying to figure out how to make it a little better.

One of the big issues is the thin skin on the bottom. I was thinking that I’d look for a paint or spray to put on the bottom to give it a bit of a shield. The material is vinyl. Has anyone had success doing this? Would bed liner spray work? Or is it too rigid? I’d still need to deflate this, fold it, and store it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You got it right, you get what you paid for. Get a can of undercoating and spray several layers of product one over the other once each layer is completely dry, will be able to fold nicely the inflatable..

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think you can do much to strengthen the bottom, but if you spray or coat with anything make you test first. Solvents may soften and destroy the bottom.

It's probably best to live with shortcomings of the inflatable. They are more durable than you think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most rattle can spray on bed liners dont do well with the solvents in them spraying on PVC