New Season New (To me) Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke!!

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
I posted last season showing my setup with the 4hp electric motor that was good for easily hitting hull speed on electric restricted lakes and rivers. I also boat on a lot of large lakes and bays with no gas restrictions, so I had been shopping around for a gas motor to add to the collection. Here are some options I considered:

6hp 4stroke tohatsu/nissan/merc(?): There were a ton of these for sale in basically showroom condition for $500-800, so it was very hard to resist picking one up as a nice lightweight and reliable option. Unfortunately, 6hp, especially in a 1cylinder 4 stroke is barely enough to plane the boat with 1 person, and would be a real struggle with a passenger.

8-9.8hp 4 stroke tohatsu/nissan: There were a couple of these for sale in good condition for $800-1000, but they weigh in at 90+lbs and would put a lot of stress on my transom and my back.

8hp yamaha 2 stroke: This was pretty much the motor I was set on. Every time one come up for a reasonable price it was sold within a day. Oh well, I believe I ended up with a similarly great late model 2 stroke.

Various 9.9hp 2 strokes: Maybe a little more powerful, but a lot heavier than the 9.8 2 stroke.

So a couple weeks ago I saw an advertisement for this 9.8 2 stroke in good condition listed for $500. Drove out there immediately, made an offer, and took it home for $400 cash.

Obviously at that price it isn't perfect. There is a bit of corrosion on the bottom part of the motor housing and a little on the leg. It pumps water well, but obviously not at its absolute best, so its getting a new impeller this weekend. Starts and runs absolutely flawlessly though.

Overall, $400 for a 9.8hp that weighs under 60lbs is a solid deal in my book, and I am insanely excited for the maiden voyage this weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. My narrow flat bottom boat should absolutely fly with the 9.8.

Pictures of the motor and the boat attached.

Attachments

• photo291499.png
    photo291499.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo291500.jpg
    photo291500.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Congrtas on that bargain purchase. It's a nice OB, top one on its portable class.

Some issues,

- 6 HP will plane any light boat provided that it's properly propped for OB to run at max wot rpm range factory stated.

-A 2 strokes Tohatsu 9.9 OB is a 250 CC one, a 9.8 is a 170 CC one, great HP difference and water performance although the cowl numbers are next to each other.

Would recommend to install an induction Hardline Hour/Tach on tiller next to grip, go for a wot spin as loaded and check max rpm achieved. Go for at least one less pitch prop for OB to rev towards middle or max wot rpm range. Wot range for that 9.8 is 5K to 6K. Post results if going per a prop maximization or achieved max wot revs with current factory delivered prop.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yes congrats one the motor. What is the max HP and weight of motor for your boat? I ask knowing that light weight was very important in your choice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That sib can handle a 9.9/15/18 HP 2 strokes Tohatsu easily as all 3 only weights 42 kilos, ideal OB's if plan boating with extra boaters and added load. Just inflate Sib to its factory working pressure with a gauge and voilá...

Happy Boating

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Various 9.9hp 2 strokes: Maybe a little more powerful, but a lot heavier than the 9.8 2 stroke.
I went thru the same process replacing the 6hp Evinrude Fisherman on my Zodiac Zoom 10' and settled on the Tohatsu 9.8 4-Stroke. (81lbs)

The 2-stroke 9.8 is listed at 56lbs and the Tohat 4-stroke 9.8hp is a full 25lbs heavier to be sure...........

but since I boat in lakes that have 2-stoke "Cops" that will fine you if they catch you on the lake with any carbureted 2-stroke I didn't have a choice......

Costco is selling an inflatable now that is similar in size (approx 10') to my early 2000's Zodiac (for half the price!!) that is rated at 15hp!

Overall, $400 for a 9.8hp that weighs under 60lbs is a solid deal in my book, and I am insanely excited for the maiden voyage this weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. My narrow flat bottom boat should absolutely fly with the 9.8.
Take pictures and post them!

NICE looking boat! :thumb:

Cheers,

Rick