Kidde fire extinguisher recall notice for plastic handle and push-button Pindicator types

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Kidde fire extinguisher recall notice for plastic handle and push-button Pindicator types

Just sent this to a few hundred people at work and asked to pass on. Please do the same

Over 37 million Kidde extinguishers which are probably what most of us have; Wally World, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I know the three I have on my boats are the white ones and the two red ones we have for home use also are on the list. Even if you haven?t bought one recently:

The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017,

Also with daylight savings time turning off this weekend good time to check batteries in smoke alarms - even if you home is newer and has them hardwired to home electricity they ALL come with a backup battery in case of power failure. CHECK THEM.

Carbon Monoxide detectors same game as well and if you don?t have any go today and buy them. I lost an long-time friend last year to a faulty furnace.

Kidde site:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

Govt site:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/K...arge-and-Nozzle-Detachment-One-Death-Reported

CBS news report:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fire-extinguisher-recall-kidde-nearly-40-million/

I?m going to go buy two for the house today while I wait on the replacements. Then I?ll have four for the house.

Feel free to pass on, and do not put this off.

NYBo

Admiral
Yes, thanks. I have 2 out my 3 extinguishers affected by the recall. Will be sharing this.

tpenfield

Staff member
I need to get new ones for the boat, because they seem to be old, if not original. Wondering how long there will be a short supply as 37 million are replaced :noidea:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thats what I've been thinking. Thats why i bought a couple new, now

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
They've known this has been coming I'm sure they have ramped up production and i just got back from wally world and they sure aint as cheap as they were.

As far as knowing in advance, the packaging already has stuff on it about being all metal.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I just requested my replacements.
Enter name and address, and model/serial numbers from the units. Done.

They said I should receive then in 3-4 weeks. (maybe)

Mopie

Cadet
I spent 2 hours with several and found 2 which fit the serial numbers, both series. I filled out their form as they wanted. But more is needed.
NOW pictures have to be considered.
Seems they do not know what they made and do not intend to be honorable.
One more try I guess. This does not speak well. Passive resistance 101!

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the online form for 3 extinguishers. I have received 2, rather quickly. There was a notice in the change to the return shipping labels in the mail a day or 2 after. I am not sure what happened to the 3rd, I keep forgetting to call them and ask. Huge recall.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, received email, stated I should have them by/about December 1st.

Just received a second email.
Says ummm, we are swamped, in over our heads, don't call us, we'll call you.

So it looks like they weren't as prepared as they thought.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Given the time of year (daylight savings time) I thought I'd bump this up. Good time to check to ensure you did actually replace these and while you are at it - check smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors for battery and function.

Then, fun story. My boss was relaying a story how his mower caught his yard on fire. He ran into the house and he and his wife had no clue where the fire extinguishers were.

Do a fire drill. Today.

I asked my wife - 'quick the kitchen is on fire what do you do' she pointed to the pantry and said grab the fire extinguisher. I then asked 'what do you do if it is a really big fire' thinking she would point to the garage where we keep a very large extinguisher but nope the said 'get the hell out'. Smart woman that lady is...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Update, I did get my 3 replacements the week of Christmas, along with free return shipping for the old ones.