Potential Relocation - Boating in Colorado?

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the very early stages of a potential career change that would land me on the south side of the Denver metro area. If (big if) it comes to fruition, boating is one of the factors that I will definitely consider in my pros/cons. Frankly it's our favorite family summer activity, and I don't want to give it up. So what are my options in CO? My kids are 3/6/9 and we mostly just tube and swim, so I prefer places with warmish water and not a lot of congestion. Current boat is a 19' and I'm shopping for a 23' over the winter. Thanks!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Potential Relocation - Boating in Colorado?

Cherry Creek lake in metro is a pit with 10x the boats capable of handling. That's all I KNOW but I think you will not be a big boating family in the Denver area.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Hey owp...

I have been boating in Colorado for 20+ years...while there's not exactly what you'd call a "plethora" of boatable lakes, there are enough to make worthwhile!
LINK to State Parks that allow the type of boating you desire:

In Alphabetical Order:

Boyd Lake State Park (Loveland): Nice campgrounds, decent water/size. Somewhat busy on weekends. In right inside Loveland, CO (about an hour North of Denver)

Carter Reservoir: Lot's of sailboats, but a decent during the week lake?

Chatfield Resevoir: Larger reservoir, in Highland Ranch, South of Denver, most likely closest to you. Very busy on weekends.

Cherry Creek Reservoir: Large, busy, but decent. Some shallow spots...also, can rent jet-skis and there's some decent beach areas. Not my favorite...to many non-boaters in the swimming/beach areas.

Jackson Lake State Park: Decent sized, weather can turn quickly here, sandy bottom, decent campgrounds, but lot's of algea...did I mention lots of algae?

John Martin Reservoir: About 3.5 hours Southeast of Denver, second largest body of water in Colorado when at capacity. Decent as it doesn't get too busy because of distance from big cities. Camping ground is nice, but too far from the lake. No real places to beach as most is off limits due to a bird sanctuary (ironic on a man made lake!) and the areas that are not are mostly rocky...there are exceptions, but unless you know the lake can get shallow when Kansas want's it's water!

Lathrop State Park. Really nice campgrounds (not real close to lake), not too busy, which is good given it's a smaller lake. Some okay beach areas if you get to them early enough? We got the group site for this Memorial weekend, which has a pavillion, connections for 7 campers, allows up to 50 people and right on the lake. The Walsenburg golf course is on-site, so us boys get up early on Sunday and play 9 holes.

Lake Meredith: Approx. 3 hours Southeast of Denver. As rustic as it gets, no established campgrounds; however, you can pull up the sandy beach (some small trees/weeds) and camp wherever. It was mostly emptied these past years due to droughts? One of our favorites are there's no real supervision. Sandy bottom (some shallow areas) not real deep (14' when at capacity). It's locally called "Outlaw Lake" because of the lack of oversight...people party until the wee-hours and can be a PITA.

Lake Pueblo State Park: about 100 Miles South of Denver, busiest body of water in Colorado (other than Navajo Reservoir, but most of that in in NM) Decent water, can get busy on weekends, camping is plentiful, not right on water, so beaching is out! also, no real beachable areas as the lake is surrounded by shale cliffs. Some really awesome coves for fishing and rafting up!

Non State Parks:

Horsetooth Reservoir: About 1.25 hours North of Denver. Large (6+ miles long, but only about .5 mile wide at it's widest point). Some nice coves for anchoring/rafting/beaching, but on weekends fills up quick. Very nice campgrounds, some you can boat right up to! When at capacity it's a fairly nice place to boat. The rangers can be a bit over zealous with reminding you of the rules...got pulled over there 2 years ago (57mph), didn't have enough life preservers and had a few beers...nothing but a warning...so at least they were cool to me!? Got 7 spaces reserved for 4th of July weekend this year.

Let me know if you want more details? PM me and I'll fill you in on what I can?

~Brett

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Cherry Creek lake in metro is a pit with 10x the boats capable of handling. That's all I KNOW but I think you will not be a big boating family in the Denver area.

Redneck would be wrong...obviously...the list I gave you is no where near all of the water in Colorado, just the ones that are relatively close...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Redneck would be wrong...obviously...the list I gave you is no where near all of the water in Colorado, just the ones that are relatively close...
If you think theses are "boating" opportunities you've really need to get out. You could fit the large, 1/2 mile wide x 6 mile lg lake in a couple of our local rivers side ways...lol

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

If you think theses are "boating" opportunities you've really need to get out. You could fit the large, 1/2 mile wide x 6 mile lg lake in a couple of our local rivers side ways...lol

Dingbat...They are what they are...as far as my experience....

I'd rather live in Colorado than say Washington State (where I grew up, little bit of water there), or Minnesota (where my folks live, there might be a few lakes there too?) or New Hampshire (where my in-laws live...there might be a few lakes/ponds maybe an ocean?) I cannot snowboard in Maryland (at least no where I'd want too), I'll take my smaller lakes over the east coast any day. And keep my Rocky Mountain High.

The OP asked a simple question and I gave a succinct answer! But then you are "that guy"...as always!

Cheers!

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I don't need huge, I'll take small and empty vs big and crowded any day. Sounds like there are options, albeit with a little driving required.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are also a 9 hour drive to one of the best boating of all...Lake Powell.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Dingbat...They are what they are...as far as my experience....

I'd rather live in Colorado than say Washington State (where I grew up, little bit of water there), or Minnesota (where my folks live, there might be a few lakes there too?) or New Hampshire (where my in-laws live...there might be a few lakes/ponds maybe an ocean?) I cannot snowboard in Maryland (at least no where I'd want too), I'll take my smaller lakes over the east coast any day. And keep my Rocky Mountain High.

The OP asked a simple question and I gave a succinct answer! But then you are "that guy"...as always!

Cheers!

Feel any better that now that you got that out? Quite a personal attack / rant for someone merely suggesting that Colorado isn't exactly the boating capital of the world. :lol::lol:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Digbat... wow,, dissing the north east... Colorado is beautiful, I've been to Denver,, had an opportunity to move there 2 years ago,, boating can be done Im sure,,,I think of Denver more of a hunting/hiking/skiing place,,, sort of what upstate NY is to boating..ie- All the NYS Finger Lakes,,(they are all spectacular and large), oh,, Lake Ontario is not far either... I suppose most have heard of that one

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Cherry is about as big as the 'coves' I anchor out in and to the OP is was very busy the day I was there - on a Wednesday about 3-6pm.

Like I said - that is all I KNOW.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is kinda interesting to see the per capita boat registration:

2010 data in bottom chart
Per Capita

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Feel any better that now that you got that out? Quite a personal attack / rant for someone merely suggesting that Colorado isn't exactly the boating capital of the world. :lol::lol:

You suggestion was not at all that..."boating capital of the world" wow are you that short sighted? It was a response to your telling me I should "get out" You have no idea where I've boated!? Not a personal attack, merely an observation...if the information changes, so does my opinions! Besides the OP is coming from Kansas and while they certainly have better boating, it's not like Colorado is horrible? As bruceb58 states, in Colorado you're within 8 hours of Powell, one of the best! Which I'm certain you'll have some negative input on?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

c'mon kids lets not take this somewhere it doesn't need to go.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys, I get it. Not the "land of lakes", but not the desert either. No reason to fight over it.